Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

GSC R2's with Supertech duel valvetrain is a NO GO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2013, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GSC R2's with Supertech duel valvetrain is a NO GO

I have a BR stage 3 head with the supertech duel springs and supertech seals. I checked the retainer to valve seal clearance and it was a no go! The duel spring ratainers have 2 "steps". 1 to hold the big spring centered and 1 to hold the small inner spring centered. The extra "step" that the duel spring retainers have causes the clearance issue. If it were not there as with a single spring setup i believe i would have enough clearance. I emailed ER about a GSC 5041 set, hopefully those will get it right.

Just a heads up guys. Should be able to retest with the single spring setup in a week or so. I will keep this updated.

Last edited by browningderek; Apr 9, 2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Good info mate

I will be cheeking them with kiggly behives soon, there is enough seal to retainer clearance with them.

Should be the same with the gsc
Old Apr 6, 2013, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

If possible could you post a video I've been seriously thinking about purchasing these..
Old Apr 6, 2013, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I have been trying to find this answer out for a few weeks now and didnt want to be the test subject
Old Apr 6, 2013, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WTF!

I was supposed to start my car tomorrow......

Old Apr 6, 2013, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone tested them with S3s? That's the combo I run....
Old Apr 6, 2013, 08:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
How much lift do the R2's have? All of the supertech duals are rated for 13.4mm of travel or more. Which model # set of springs do you have? I'm pretty sure lots of people run the duals on cams with the same lift that the R2's probably have (fp5r's).

EDIT: max lift is 12.1mm on the evo 8 and 12.0 on the evo 9.

Generally the max lift is determined by the retainer to valve stem seal clearance so it's surprising.

http://www.supertechperformance.com/cat-ivalves?id=7

Last edited by Dynotech Tuning; Apr 7, 2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Supertech duals were run on this setup with the new GSC R2's. I just spoke with him and there were no issues whatsoever.
After 100 miles or so it was taken apart and inspected and all was good to go

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ting-data.html
Old Apr 6, 2013, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure man. I got the BR set and they for sure will not work with these 12mm lift cams.
Old Apr 6, 2013, 09:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^ stick to ecu's big guy... There are very very few sets of springs that will clear these cams... Only two sets of valve seals, and maybe a handful of retainers...

Stick with gsc's recommendations because they developed them. These cams are the hardcore of the hardcore the valve to guide clearance is right at 12.1+\-.1mm in the evo heads so that should tell you how tight a fit these will be..
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

What would happen if you ran these cams with out the correct clearance?
Old Apr 6, 2013, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
So just to confirm my setup for using the R2 cams.

I putting a FP black on a standard bottom end (read pistons) 2.0l Evo 9 (mivec). My head will have a mild port with GSC 5041 springs/retainers and new GSC valve seals. These cams are being purchased on the advice of my tuner who insists that it will all work. Just want to check there will be no piston/valve interface issue as the cams are being shipped to Australia so a return will be über expensive.
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fireescape

I putting a FP black on a standard bottom end (read pistons) 2.0l Evo 9 (mivec). My head will have a mild port with GSC 5041 springs/retainers and new GSC valve seals. These cams are being purchased on the advice of my tuner who insists that it will all work. Just want to check there will be no piston/valve interface issue as the cams are being shipped to Australia so a return will be über expensive.

On the GSC website it recommends the 5041 set for use with them so you should be fine, but these are designed for a stroker motor reving to 8,500
Because you are 2.0 you may want to use the gsc s3 cams insted or are you looking to move to a stroker later?
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fireescape

Not knocking you or your tuner but have you read anything about the cams they're meant for 2.2l and above motors not really 2.0s if you read English racings write up on them Aaron ( John Bradley the guy that did extensive testing on these) showed there's is nothing good to come from them on the 2.0 and stock frame turbos. I get a lot of ppl want the latest and greatest but these cams were designed for stroker motors and bigger turbos

Look up the right up from John Bradley is has all the info needed on these new r2s
Old Apr 7, 2013, 12:31 AM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, not sure why my tuner recommended these cams, but he knows what he is doing as far as their use goes so maybe he has a cunning plan. I've seen comparisons between the r2 and s3 and there doesn't seem to be any loss power or spool wise. Also seen comparisons between s2 and s3 from my tuner and the same applies. Guess if my car becomes a lag monster I can use it as an excuse to build the motor and stroke it out, not sure if my wife will fall for that one though.

Quick Reply: GSC R2's with Supertech duel valvetrain is a NO GO