Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil filter question.. MD,MZ,K&N?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2004, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil filter question.. MD,MZ,K&N?

Hmm...

well, I just got my FilterMag which should take care of all the
metal shavings... Maybe I'll just run OEM MZ filters or even the
Walmart filter...

Originally posted by DGS

The Denso web page doesn't say. But the Champ hotline implied that the cheaper SuperTech was about as good as the OEM filter.

Different filter manufacturers use different test procedures, so the "micron" ratings are more useful to compare filters by the same manufacturer than to compare across producers, unless you can find tests done by an independent tester, rather than by by the filter maker. Baldwin rates their filters 23 microns. ChampLabs may be using a flattering rating procedure. (Although I've seen other filters claim 1/10 micron.)

The M1-108 was $11.99 at AutoZone. The 7317 was $1.97 at Walmart, but is sized more like the M1-110 (which was also priced $11.99 at AZ).

The M1-108 looks like the pictures referenced in your link. The 110 and SuperTech are a bit longer, but the same diameter. (They were out of M1-104s)

I'll probably put the M1-108 on the car, but the SuperTech is cheap enough to have one to toss in the "kit" box in the trunk. (The "Justin Case".)
Old Feb 25, 2004, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

I have been running a carquest brand filter on my evo, which is made by Wicks. It is part #85356. Always had good luck with it. Used that brand on my RSX also with no problems.
Old Feb 28, 2004, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I've got an STP oil filter (forgot which one, I don'd have it with me right now, but its the one that is compatible with the EVO). Is there any reason why I should not use it for the EVO (the Mitsu Parts dept. is closed for the weekend and I want to change it tommorrow)?
Old Feb 28, 2004, 04:11 PM

I wish Peak still made their Hard Driver line of filters. I use the Fram X2 . . . I know, I know, FRAM! The X2 is almost a clone of the Hard Driver filters I stocked up on for my old vehicle before it seems that Peak stopped making them.

The X2 and HD used a synthetic media sandwiched between metal mesh screens with metal end caps. I was impressed with the Hard Driver filter ever since I had a chance to talk to their reps and compare the internals with other filters. The X2 has the same contruction and I am now wondering if Fram bought the rights to the Hard Driver line? I would switch if another vendor made the same style filter since I don't like Fram that much.