Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Opinions on Crower rods (not brian crower)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinions on Crower rods (not brian crower)

Yes I searched lol
Recently picked up a set of 150mm billet steel Crowers.
Still in the air as to a 2.0 or 2.3. But will probably be something T4 TS.

Im wondering if it was a bad buy, Howards rods are pretty popular for OE crank and they are billet steel also.
I am wondering why Crowers arent as popular as they were a couple of years ago?

I'm thinking they arent as popular just because they are steel rods for a similar price as aluminum rods?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 06:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by X91EVO
Im wondering if it was a bad buy, Howards rods are pretty popular for OE crank and they are billet steel also.
I am wondering why Crowers arent as popular as they were a couple of years ago?
Was it a bad buy? Probably not so long as you didn't pay more than replacement cost.

Unless anything has changed recently, Crower rods are made from U.S. forged billets, and have a good track record here. They won't be as light as a Carillo, but if properly sized and fitted with a quality fastener (e.g. ARP), they should never fail.

The reason why they aren't as popular as a few years ago likely stems from the fact that many are tempted by the cheap, Chinese rods that are sold under various brands (e.g. Brian Crower, Eagle, Manley, on Ebay, etc.). Personally speaking, I won't take the cheap seats when it comes to something as critical as connecting rods in a 300+hp/L engine, but that's just me. And by those standards, you did just fine.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ted B
Was it a bad buy? Probably not so long as you didn't pay more than replacement cost.
Thanks Ted!
Makes sense as to where the market is headed.. over seas like everything else.
Just curious because of what one of the big dog engine builders said, as far as why they dont use them anymore.

Went something like
"if we dont carry it, wouldnt recommend it"
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have these rods, they have been in the car for over 80,000 miles. kept the same rods thru 2 builds. but not crazy power but car has gone tens and has been thru hell and still going strong
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by marrrk
I have these rods, they have been in the car for over 80,000 miles. kept the same rods thru 2 builds. but not crazy power but car has gone tens and has been thru hell and still going strong
Good to hear! Because Im poor and will be keeping these forever most likely haha.
Are you on OE crank?
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

I know a few people who run Crower parts. Both import and domestic. They make quality parts and too often people associate the Crower name with Brian Crower, which is garbage. Their I beam rods are VERY STRONG and I would put them in the same class as any other high end I beam rod.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought these rods for my personal build. I have nothing but good things to say about the built quality and consistency between each rod.

Buschur used/uses? these in his motors and his track record has been nothing but excellent.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear! Because Im poor and will be keeping these forever most likely haha.
Are you on OE crank?

to answer your question yes stock crank, and they came from buschur in 2007 when my engine was built the first time.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by GotWheelHop
I know a few people who run Crower parts. Both import and domestic. They make quality parts and too often people associate the Crower name with Brian Crower, which is garbage. Their I beam rods are VERY STRONG and I would put them in the same class as any other high end I beam rod.
Thats very true, it even took me a while to figure out BC and Crower were different brands.

Originally Posted by sobo
I bought these rods for my personal build. I have nothing but good things to say about the built quality and consistency between each rod.

Buschur used/uses? these in his motors and his track record has been nothing but excellent.
Yes he useD them ha. Thats actually what made me wonder to begin with. But Guess aluminum is the new material of choice.

Originally Posted by marrrk
to answer your question yes stock crank, and they came from buschur in 2007 when my engine was built the first time.
good to know Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:13 PM
Evolved Member

Thats very true, it even took me a while to figure out BC and Crower were different brands.

Yes he useD them ha. Thats actually what made me wonder to begin with. But Guess aluminum is the new material of choice.

good to know Thanks!
He still uses steel rods. However they no longer use Crower, but Manley Turbo Tuff rods. Least they were for a while. Dunno what is in them now. lol

Suppose we could just ask.