Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Crankshaft, nitrate or billet?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crankshaft, nitrate or billet?

Well after performing some research on the process and what to do with my build, I sent my crank out to get nitrated and knife edged. The knife edge process that I am doing is not what you would think. This is just cleaning up the edge of the counter weights. This is not machining the crank weights to a point. I will post pics once its done.

However, I have had the last few crankshafts nitrated to case harden the crank. I have not had any issues with perfming this to my stock evo crank and now Im doing it to my 2.4L crank.

Has anyone else done this? Any engine builders out there that recommend or do not recommend it?

I had them quote making a billet crank and it was $2500.

Ive seen the ones on ebay and what not go for $1000 all the way up to $3500. I know the manley/eagle ones are made in China. Im not sure about the cosworth ones.

Does anyone use a billet crank? What brand and any issues in quality?
Old Apr 18, 2013, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My new build is going to have a K1 94mm in it. I'll keep you abreast of how it holds up.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 11:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
nitriding (not nitrating) infuses nitrogen into the surface of the crankshaft, and the nitrogen combines with carbon to make carbo-nitrides. the process not only hardens the surface (carbo-nitrides are very hard) but also creates a compressive layer in the plane of the surface. this compressive layer can improve fatigue crack nucleation resistance and is the real benefit of nitriding. the greater hardness has no benefit because a properly heat treated crank is already way harder than the journal bearings that support it.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Is there any reason you want a billet crank?? I've been told from a reliable vender that stock cranks are good for 900+ WHP.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forged crank would be a decent compromise, no?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
nitriding (not nitrating) infuses nitrogen into the surface of the crankshaft, and the nitrogen combines with carbon to make carbo-nitrides. the process not only hardens the surface (carbo-nitrides are very hard) but also creates a compressive layer in the plane of the surface. this compressive layer can improve fatigue crack nucleation resistance and is the real benefit of nitriding. the greater hardness has no benefit because a properly heat treated crank is already way harder than the journal bearings that support it.
I would disagree with statement in bold. i have been nitriding 7 bolt cranks for over ten years. 7 bolts no matter what the year has NO surface hardening from factory at all. nitriding drastcally reduces crankwalk and spun bearings.

with a stock crank if you damage the bearings and hear any audible noise the crank will no longer be round. with a nitrided crank you can swap bearings in car and be on your way again. the difference in hardness is remarkable.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I would disagree with statement in bold. i have been nitriding 7 bolt cranks for over ten years. 7 bolts no matter what the year has NO surface hardening from factory at all. nitriding drastcally reduces crankwalk and spun bearings.

with a stock crank if you damage the bearings and hear any audible noise the crank will no longer be round. with a nitrided crank you can swap bearings in car and be on your way again. the difference in hardness is remarkable.
I thought the stock cranks from the factory are induction hardened?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

If the factory heat treat is poor quality, or the crank is made from a lower strength steel, I fully agree that nitriding will help control wear and deformation on the journals.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Great to know. My first and second builds I have done the nitriding process.

I was cusious of how many builders do this or even recommend it to their customers if they are a shop.

Does anyone know if Buschur, MAP, AMS, or English Racing does this?
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
Forged crank would be a decent compromise, no?
Stock crank is already forged. Personally i would shot peen and nitride the OEM crank.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by sobo
I thought the stock cranks from the factory are induction hardened?
they are not. they have no hardening process done to them. they are very soft and damage easily.

the big shops dont push nitriding. they make more money not doing so.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To what extent is magnafluxing (MPI ) still considered an important testing process that should be carried when selecting a used factory crank for a 2.3L, or 2.4L motor build?

Last edited by sparky; Apr 19, 2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 05:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
To what extent is magnafluxing (MPI ) still considered an important testing process that should be carried when selecting a used factory crank for a 2.3L, or 2.4L motor build?
In my opinion, it should be done to any used crank being carried over into another build.