Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Is my Injen intake hampering my 84mm FP cover?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Is my Injen intake hampering my 84mm FP cover?

So I've had my IX for about a year now. I bought it with the Injen LICP, UICP, and intake. Still using the stock IX DV. Problem is, the Injen is a 2.5" pipe, my cover is 3.25" (HTA71 with 84mm cover). I'm running about 25 psi, so am I suffocating my turbo with this Injen pipe? The reason I ask (I think it's an obvious answer but I'm not a flow-dynamics kinda guy) is that to replace it, I also have to ditch the Injen UICP which isn't exactly cheap to do. So, my question to you all, am I leaving airflow on the table by using the Injen intake with an 84mm inlet cover?

Any guidance is helpful. Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since you are interested in obtaining all the ponies that are on the table, convert to speed density. Ditch the injen intake as well as the dinky I.D. MAF sensor, and run as large an air filter as possible that has a 4" exit diameter, mated to a 4" intake tube, and a 4"-to-3.5" silicone adaptor at the compressor inlet. So, largest surface area filter and an unrestricted 4" all the way through to the compressor inlet.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sparky, I knew someone was going to suggest SD I'm used to DSM SD with Link which is so easy to do, I was able to get my DSM's converted to it in a couple of hours. V7 SD seems way more complicated. Am I imagining things? Searching the ECUFlash forum is so tough sometimes because you not only have to find the threads, but often you have to search through 100's of pages, so maybe I'm just missing something...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddRhodes
Sparky, I knew someone was going to suggest SD I'm used to DSM SD with Link which is so easy to do, I was able to get my DSM's converted to it in a couple of hours. V7 SD seems way more complicated. Am I imagining things?....
It is not so much an S.D. vs. MAF issue for me personally. I just like the idea of running the largest I.D. intake all the way through w/o any restrictions such as the dinky stock MAF. I just dont like the idea of having the dinky stock MAF inline between the 3.5" compressor inlet and the 4" air filter exit.

Actually, I prefer the plug and play ease of a MAF sensor without the altitude sensitive glitches of S.D. I come from a turbo Buick background and loved the simplicity of the larger GM MAF's that were adaptable to the Buicks from Camaros and Vettes with the help of a MAF Translator. Sorry for the digression.