Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What would happen if you put a BOV in backwards?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2004, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would happen if you put a BOV in backwards?

Yep I am a idiot I installed my Greddy BOV backwards with the purple adjustment side facing up instead of it facing sideways. I have had it like this for about 400 miles? What if any damage could I have caused. I really did not get on the car alot yet because it is new so I did not realize it was installed wrong. Ohhh and by the way the car feels a world of differnece better when the BOV is installed right. Any advice??
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:00 PM
Evolved Member

I do not think you could have realy damaged to much if at all. Because in that time frame , if it did damage something you would know about it.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Put the tools down and step away from the car.
j/k man............

Last edited by Lowness; Feb 18, 2004 at 07:38 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

I am pretty good at working on cars this is just a stupid mistake that I did not catch. So basically instead of blowing off the air I was just letting it go back and hit the turbo causing a compressor surge. What kind of damage could this of done to the turbo?
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Depends on how much PSI you are pushing and how hard you was pushing your car. It should work in the same principle. One side opens and air goes in. Where you experiencing alot of surging? The air that was suppose to come out should still have came out , just not as well. Due to the boost helping push the bottom of the piston up in normal situation. It still made its way back to the intake just not as effecient.
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Did not notice any surging. But the piston part was facing down towards the intake pipe, before the turbo. That means when I let off the gas the air would have had to of gone all the way back through the intercooler piping and through the turbo before it could of pushed up the piston. I did still hear it blow off. Not sure I just really hope I did not do any long term damage to the turbo. I never really felt it surge or lurch the car. So I hope I am ok
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

I think you will be ok. I have the same bov amd it works well. I do not beleive you did any damage. As long as it did blow off you should be ok. It can be setup either way and it will still let the air out so , its all good
Old Feb 18, 2004, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

thanks alot....you made me feel better
Old Feb 19, 2004, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone else know if I caused any long term damage?
Old Feb 19, 2004, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

I doubt you've done damage. I made the same silly mistake in my Audi S4. At the time I couldn't detect any driveability issues but the S4 has two BPVs and I only had one in backwards (don't ask me why). So I think in my case the other BPV was compensating for the reversed unit.

Besides, even if you did damage, aren't you looking for an excuse to upgrade your turbo?
Old Feb 19, 2004, 04:44 PM

I did the same thing. Ibrought it to the dealer and they voided my warranty becuase of that mistake.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

I am sure they voided your warranty not because you had it in backwards but because you upgraded the BOV. A friend on mine has had his installed in the up orientation since day one and has had zero problems but his is a Forge DV
Old Feb 19, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by MYEVOVIII
I am sure they voided your warranty not because you had it in backwards but because you upgraded the BOV. A friend on mine has had his installed in the up orientation since day one and has had zero problems but his is a Forge DV
They really did not like the stealth NOS instalation under the intake manifold. I had a bad idel and it was leaking, then they voided my warranty and reported me to

Then I took it to another dealer when I blew the transfer case and it was in the system
Old Feb 19, 2004, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

if anythin it would hurt the prop in the turbo....take off your intake and try and wiggle the prop...if theres no play your fine.. u might have taken a few miles off the life of the turbo...no biggie really...and your car feels faster since u were un- spooling your turbo everytime u got off the gas
Old Feb 19, 2004, 08:14 PM

No need to take the intake off and play with the turbo. Your fine... I did it... Then I asked Dave Buschur (and some DSM friends) and they all said I was fine. Some cars don't even have BOV's.

Quick Reply: What would happen if you put a BOV in backwards?