Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo8 T51 RSPL update

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2004, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can we get some shots looking down on the ic piping? i wanna c how far it sticks out....i think ill be doing alot of buisness with u guys....i like your "***** to the walls" approach crazy

thats how we run our race talon....either were runnin 9's this year in street form or were blowin it the hell up tryin
Old Feb 19, 2004, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by OmarSpeedAddict
And about the Tomei's procams? I think you guys are officially the first ones with them in a Evo 8 right? Why didn't you go w/ the HKS 272's like everyone else?
The HKS 272's are nowhere as good as Tomei, although the rotation is only 260, the lift is 11.5mm intake and exhaust, while HKS is 10.8intake, 10.2exhst (the engine needs the extra lift to spool the turbo )
Old Feb 20, 2004, 06:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by evo542

The HKS 272's are nowhere as good as Tomei, although the rotation is only 260, the lift is 11.5mm intake and exhaust, while HKS is 10.8intake, 10.2exhst (the engine needs the extra lift to spool the turbo )
I have Tomei procams installed on my Evo. I have them residing in a Quantum Racing stage 3 head (BJ's) with Ferrea springs and retainers. I had HKS 264/264 previously. Higher lift is the key -- super quick spoolup and a fat torque curve is the result. Pulls unbelievably strong up to 8000rpm. It will go past there but I need to upgrade the bottom end first.
Bluesmaster
Old Feb 20, 2004, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Bluesmaster

I have Tomei procams installed on my Evo. I have them residing in a Quantum Racing stage 3 head (BJ's) with Ferrea springs and retainers. I had HKS 264/264 previously. Higher lift is the key -- super quick spoolup and a fat torque curve is the result. Pulls unbelievably strong up to 8000rpm. It will go past there but I need to upgrade the bottom end first.
Bluesmaster
Like I was telling you over the phone
I am glad you like them

George
Old Feb 20, 2004, 05:31 PM

I'm very excited to see what a 2.3 liter stroker will do on a 4G63 as well as a turbo that most inline-6 Supra owners are scared to run! Should be one helluva beast though. What will you guys be doing to have the drive train hold up to these power levels?

-Brady
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ooooooh **** guys - its good to see those ECUs are going to good use! =)

Time for an update to the website - but things look AMAZING! I really can't wait untill you guys get the stroker kit installed - we need to see how this works out!!!

Any chance of video footage of some dyno pulls? Or better yet - some in car/out of car V8 kills???

Keep up the good work fellas!

(and I owe you a tracking# first thing Monday!!!)
Old Feb 21, 2004, 04:41 AM

Up to what rpm does it rev to now?
Oh and guys that 2.3L set up, is it custom by you guys? How much would it be to get it in our Evos? How does it affect the revability of the engine? How is it compared to the tomei 2.2L in reliability and rev limit (if it affects this)?
thank you
Omar
Old Feb 21, 2004, 05:33 AM

wow looks very good.

Some questions?

what exhaust housing are us using? is it the new V-band style housing?

because I am wondering were you got/made the headers?

how about some dyno # for the 30psi+ runs just to keep us waiting until you get the rest of the stuff on

Last edited by sloweclipse; Feb 21, 2004 at 05:39 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Can the aem log airflow in lbs/min? I was just wondering how much of the compressor wheel's 100lbs you are using. I doubt you are using 65% of it. I would guess you are i the neighborhood of 63-65lbs/min at peak. The stroker will bring that up in the lower end but you won't be able to rev to 9k like the 2.0(or even a smidge higher). I bet you would acually see better performance by switching to a smaller wheel (unless it is not as efficient at those pressure ratios). Dig up a wheel that flows around 75 lbs/min and it should be perfect.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by dirty_barry
I'm very excited to see what a 2.3 liter stroker will do on a 4G63 as well as a turbo that most inline-6 Supra owners are scared to run! Should be one helluva beast though. What will you guys be doing to have the drive train hold up to these power levels?

-Brady
The 2.3 liter will rev to 9K no problem:-) The Tomei will do 9K as well.

wow looks very good.

Some questions?

what exhaust housing are us using? is it the new V-band style housing?

because I am wondering were you got/made the headers?

how about some dyno # for the 30psi+ runs just to keep us waiting until you get the rest of the stuff on
The HKS T51R SPL comes with only one type exhaust haousing and it is all V band.

We should be in SoCAl for some events, adn we will dyno while we are there There are no good AWD dynos in ATL yet.

Can the aem log airflow in lbs/min? I was just wondering how much of the compressor wheel's 100lbs you are using. I doubt you are using 65% of it. I would guess you are i the neighborhood of 63-65lbs/min at peak. The stroker will bring that up in the lower end but you won't be able to rev to 9k like the 2.0(or even a smidge higher). I bet you would acually see better performance by switching to a smaller wheel (unless it is not as efficient at those pressure ratios). Dig up a wheel that flows around 75 lbs/min and it should be perfect.
I am sure it can, if I was using a MAF sensor. But I have a 70psi (a) MAP sensor....

Any chance of video footage of some dyno pulls? Or better yet - some in car/out of car V8 kills???

Keep up the good work fellas!
No movies on the V8 kills, but it was FUNNY. The car has some insane midrange with the new BJs manifold and these 1680cc actually work really well on the car.

George
Old Feb 22, 2004, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

would love to know more about the stroker kit...
thanks
Old Feb 22, 2004, 09:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by evosevengsr
would love to know more about the stroker kit...
thanks
2 more weeks :-)

On the AEM EMS that you asked, I have one ready, for the EVo7...
What country are you in?

George
Old Feb 26, 2004, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

dont forget to tell us the comp ratio that the kit will give. please.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Boost Solutions

2 more weeks :-)

On the AEM EMS that you asked, I have one ready, for the EVo7...
What country are you in?

George
Just another reader ,his location says trinidad which is the country (island in the caribbean)
Old Feb 26, 2004, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Where did you find a 60psi boost gauge?! That has to be the most wicked turbo sound on the planet!??

*boggle* 43 psi...I can't even fathom that.