Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Oil jets hitting Wiseco pistons?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil jets hitting Wiseco pistons?

I've been on car forums for several years now and never had to ask a question because I always find an answer somewhere from searching, but not this time. The title pretty much sums it up. I've found many forums with people asking this question but nothing came up on evom. I've already read countless threads on the controversy of deleting the oil jets but its not something I really want to do. But my main question that I couldn't seem to find from any other Evo owner, has anyone had this problem before?

They are brand new Wiseco stroker pistons, 1400HD for a 2.3l stroker. I have stock length Manley rods and the 100mm Manley forged crank.

I figured I would get dozens of hits on here with this question asked but nothing came up. I already emailed Wiseco but also wanted advice from you guys that have done similar builds. My only thought is that my pistons were on back order for 2 months and when they finally shipped them out the were the same part number but with AP (armor plate) at the end. Not sure that would effect anything or not? I know the majority of the evo builds on here use these exact piston so either I got the only bogus set that doesnt work or people just delete the oil jets.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:54 AM

I found this image on another forum and this shows exactly where mine are hitting also.

Old May 17, 2013, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to bend the oil jets slightly.
Old May 17, 2013, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by batty200
This. I had to do this on my 4G64 build as well. Mine were also hitting the exact same spot.
Old May 17, 2013, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I were they clearanced properly? I sat there and personally measured over and over at difference angles to make sure i have .080 clearance all the way around... Took a bit of work. I slide a small but long wrench on the tube to give extra leverage...
Old May 18, 2013, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by batty200
Originally Posted by thebluesky
This. I had to do this on my 4G64 build as well. Mine were also hitting the exact same spot.
That's what I figured but wanted to make sure someone had done this with no issues.

I thought the 4G64 blocks didn't have oil jets? Did you have some machined in?
Old May 18, 2013, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with the rest, bend them slightly and double check.

My buddy had to do this on evo x also.

And yeah, 4G64 blocks, unless have oil jets machined in shouldn't have them IIRC
Old May 18, 2013, 08:43 AM

Some 4g64 blocks like mine have oil squirters as standard, but they are of a different like by that they get there supply of oil from the main bearing journals.
Old May 18, 2013, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by craigybaby37
Some 4g64 blocks like mine have oil squirters as standard, but they are of a different like by that they get there supply of oil from the main bearing journals.
Thanks, learn something new everyday...
Old May 18, 2013, 09:24 AM

Awesome! Thanks guys! Has this been discussed on here before? I searched for hours and couldn't find anything on evom besides the controversy of deleting them? If so, can someone link that to me please!
Old May 18, 2013, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...on-skirts.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...g-pistons.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ers-issue.html
Old May 18, 2013, 10:06 AM

Thanks! Good info. Now I'm stuck between taking a chance with bending them or deleting them.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:20 AM

Any news on how to block them?

Anyone tried to block them on 2.3L 650whp evo ? Will it have enough oil in the cylinder walls to not make scars ?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go to a hardware store and match the threads and size. Use a copper washer when blocking them to prevent them from leaking. Make sure that they do not block or restrict the oil passage or it may cause other oiling issues in the rest of the engine.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bsphillips
Thanks! Good info. Now I'm stuck between taking a chance with bending them or deleting them.
Those oil jets are there for a very real specific reason...to cool the back side of the piston and provide further oiling to the wrist pins. Critical in a turbo car for longevity. that is why Mitsubishi put them there in the first place, on a stock output car.

If anything, you should be putting bigger ones to cool more on a high output engine and support that with a higher volume oil pump. Screw the waste of 10-20 whp if it makes the engine be happy and live longer...

my .02c

Quick Reply: Oil jets hitting Wiseco pistons?