Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch engagement point fluctuates with temp?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clutch engagement point fluctuates with temp?

i've googled and searched but found nothing that seemed to solve the problem.

vehicle: '03 Evo 8, 99K, unknown clutch, unknown master/slave(dont know if any of it was changed or if some/all of it is OEM)

in the warmer weather, or after the car has been driven a while and is nice & warm, the clutch engages way up almost at the end of the pedals travel. i cant drive and measure, but im guessing the last 0.5-1" of the pedals travel. seems to be a pretty common thing with these cars. i can and have adjusted it, but read more...

in the winter or when the car is cool/cold, the clutch will engage right off the floor, and the pedal itself will not rise up to where it should be. if i pull the pedal up with the tip of my shoe, pedal will stay up and the clutch will engage higher in the pedals travel like when its warm/hot. it will stay like that from that point on, until i park it for a few hours or overnight.

at first i i thought maybe the fluid was old. thinking old fluid would absorb a fair amount of moisture, maybe the moisture/water was causing the brake fluid to thicken up when its cold and as it warms up gradually thin out and change the clutch engagement point. i bled it out a few weeks ago, and the problem persists.

while we're on topic, i tried dumping the clutch in the snow a few times over the winter, and no matter how fast i let off the clutch, engagement was still slow. afraid to try it in warm weather with grippy Continentals lol

footnotes:

warm weather/car is nice and warmed up, the clutch is consistent, and releases high. seems normal for these cars

cool/cold weather, or car only driven a few miles, clutch engages at the floor, pedal rests low, lower than the brake and dead pedals. can physically pull the clutch pedal up a few inches, and engagement/pedal travel will act normally as if it were warm.

ideas/suggestions/solutions? maybe i need to completely flush the system? maybe i need to replace the slave cylinder? i plan on doing both tomorrow unless otherwise directed.
Old May 28, 2013, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you done a pedal adjust?
I think you need to add more distance to your
clutch pedal, I.E do a pedal adjust so their is more +/- tolerance so you can feel where the friction point is.

Its very easy to do, there is a nut near the clutch pedal that you adjust and it basically acts as a stopping point for the clutch. I raised my clutch up higher off the floor, just a preference.
Old May 28, 2013, 06:55 PM

I've adjusted the pedal, that isn't my problem.

Again, my problem is that my clutch engagement point fluctuates with the outside temperature and/or the vehicle temperature.
Old May 29, 2013, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

If you bought a car without maintenance records or even knowing what aftermarket parts are on it you should assume the worst and have your transmission opened up to check it out.
Old May 30, 2013, 05:32 AM

okay so nobody has a solution to this? im heading to Buschur tomorrow for a tune i was hoping to get it solved before then...
Old May 30, 2013, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

did you remove the fluid restrictor? that should fix part of the problem. you said you bled out the fluid but did you flush it and make sure it's all new?