Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Blown Front Diff

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown Front Diff

Hi everyone,

I am reasonably sure that my front diff inside my transfer case is on it way out. I assume this because every time i make a sharp turn you can hear a binding/ crunching noise that people say is a tell tail sign of this. Some people say that you can remove the front diff while the transfer case is still on the car, and others say just to remove the whole thing. Does anybody have any experience or know of any instructions on doing this procedure? I've looked around but the how to threads I've found have broken links and missing pictures.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your transfer case is making noise and binding up I would just remove the entire transfer case and have it rebuilt. Much easier this way.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea, even though you can remove it with it the transfer case in the car, most likely not gonna do you any good as when the front diff goes out it usually sends metal through the rest of the transfer case and at the very least would need to be inspected.
Old May 31, 2013, 09:17 AM

People say that sometimes its the bolts that just come loose so if i opened it up and found that they were just loose that would save me a ton of time and money, no?
Old May 31, 2013, 10:15 AM

stupid question but how are your cv joints?
Old May 31, 2013, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by snowmastergt
People say that sometimes its the bolts that just come loose so if i opened it up and found that they were just loose that would save me a ton of time and money, no?
99% of the time bolts don't just loosen up. This is extremely unlikely but I won't rule it out because it is possible. You mention front diff and transfer case. Which are you actually refering? The front diff is in the transmission the transfercase is outside the transmission. Have you checked your axles/bearings and made sure there they aren't binding? Does it happen turning only one direction or going straight? Where is the noise coming from? Need more info.

Also if these "people" who are telling you these things are just plain old people who do not own evos or all wheel drive vehicles don't give much weight to what they say are tell tail signs. This forum or evo shop is where you will find answers.

Last edited by MechTech; May 31, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old May 31, 2013, 10:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very comon issue with the 03 evo 8. Diff spider gears has been my expirience with your symptoms
Old May 31, 2013, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you able to upload a video of the sound?
Old May 31, 2013, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure its not the rear diff? My diff gets really loud at sharp slow turns when I run fluid without friction modifier in it.
Old May 31, 2013, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MechTech
99% of the time bolts don't just loosen up. This is extremely unlikely but I won't rule it out because it is possible. You mention front diff and transfer case. Which are you actually refering? The front diff is in the transmission the transfercase is outside the transmission. Have you checked your axles/bearings and made sure there they aren't binding? Does it happen turning only one direction or going straight? Where is the noise coming from? Need more info.

Also if these "people" who are telling you these things are just plain old people who do not own evos or all wheel drive vehicles don't give much weight to what they say are tell tail signs. This forum or evo shop is where you will find answers.
um I'm going to have to disagree with this statement. The front diff is INSIDE the transfer case. the tcase is mated to the tranny.
i know because i had an LSD installed and they just took off the cover of the tcase to install it.
i also just pulled the tcase cover to replace the seal and can see the lsd housing.

if its making weird noises you can never know what the problem is, send it in for inspection. taking the cover off is a lot of work. its like 6 more bolts to unbolt the tcase from the tranny.
if the diff is messed up, metal shavings in the tcase is just asking for detremental problems soon
Old May 31, 2013, 12:22 PM

The sound happens turning either direction. you can hear it at low speeds the best and it comes from the same place everytime.

I agree that it would be nice to have it sent out to someone like shep, however the car is my DD and I cant afford to go without it for that long. I Was hoping to pop the cover off and take a look at everything and see how bad off I am. If the bolts are just loose, great. Ill tighten them back up and be on my way. If not then I probably do have to pull the whole thing and find a place that can go through it and get it back to me asap.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In your situation with it being a DD, I would try to find someone that upgraded to an LSD and buy their front diff. Depending on your mechanical skills, this can be done in a day.

Of course, I would find a friend with a spare car to drive around while the tcase is at the shop getting work done. Would be worth the wait knowing it's getting built by Shep.

I'm upgrading to an LSD so my front diff will be available to pick up soon if you do find something wrong in the tcase and the front diff.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:38 AM

Thanks for the input guys, Ive been calling around and trying to figure it the best course of action.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

i had a clunking noise that i thought sounded like my windshield was stretching as i would turn and it was super noticeable esp in the parking lot at low speeds. Found out it was my axle leaking, tightened the clamp around it and problem solved!