Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Clip / Clutch Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch Clip / Clutch Adjustment

So after watching Jack's video on clutch adjustment, I adjusted my clutch ensuring that the slave cylinder would remain self adjusting (with movement at the fork). Since it appeared that the fork wasn't going to move by hand, I ended up using a lever (which I now realize will move by hand if you keep pressure on it). Here is the kicker, I heard a little click/tick the first time I checked for movement which is now bothering me. The noise was enough to notice, but not enough to immediately cause concern but the more I thought about it, the more I wondered. While it could have been anything, I am a little concerned about that famous clutch clip that like to pop off requiring to remove the tranny. I could be worrying over nothing as well.

I took a test drive and my clutch is still working fine but it makes me wonder how much pressure it takes to pop the clip or maybe even compromise it. I also now realize that companies sell the clutch fork stops to prevent over travel...over travel in the same direction that one would test for with the slave for movement...

So to those with the unfortunate experience of popping the clip or installing a bunch of clutches, what are the odds that I compromised the clutch clip (assuming there is a chance to pop off the clip by manually actuating the fork too far)? Does it take a good amount of over travel or pressure to pop it? I am concerned that I might have a time bomb on my hands though but with no experience on having this happen to me...not sure what to think.

I assume that all is well but if anything this should serve as a reminder to not to push that fork too far. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Zero chance. You are fine no worries.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Zero chance. You are fine no worries.
Thanks for the reply as that settles any doubt I had. Without every getting my hands dirty with the clutch I just don't have any perspective of what it would take.

Yesterday I went out and made some pulls as I figured now is better than being 30 miles away somewhere. Everything shifted fine and at this point seems to be smoother than it was before the adjustment unless it's in my head. The clutch was grabbing pretty close to the floor.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by 4G63 4EVR
Thanks for the reply as that settles any doubt I had. Without every getting my hands dirty with the clutch I just don't have any perspective of what it would take.

Yesterday I went out and made some pulls as I figured now is better than being 30 miles away somewhere. Everything shifted fine and at this point seems to be smoother than it was before the adjustment unless it's in my head. The clutch was grabbing pretty close to the floor.
you could buy a new clip if you're worried about it.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 04:25 PM
Former Sponsor

What pops the clip is that release bearing and wedge collar becoming unseated from the pressure plate in the push direction, not pull direction (usually during a clutch dump). If the pedal doesn't feel "lumpy" or vague then the bearing reseated itself and you are probably fine. The idea for the pedal stop is to prevent the bearing from going that far, but is has to be carefully adjusted in order to work properly and cause preload. For the most assurance, consider our Monoloc collar as a replacement upgrade to the standard wedge collar. Search ACT Monoloc anywhere for more info.