Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Drivetrain Whine with Rear Diff Busings

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivetrain Whine with Rear Diff Busings

I just installed some Torque Solutions Rear Diff Busings and now i am getting a loud whine from the drivetrain, assuming the rear diff. The fast i drive, the louder the whine gets. Has anyone else ran into this with rear diff busings? The bushings didn't fix the clunking noise at all during shifting so i was starting to think of putting stock busings back in to get rid of this whine. Does this happen with all diff bushings? Im not sure why this would cause driveline whine now. Any suggestions would be appriciated
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

What your hearing is drive train noise ,not a whine . Is does not fix the "clunking" bit it does however stop the diff from flexing up and down to help save the axles and drive shaft from breaking under hard lounches and clutch droping .
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
The drivetrain is always making that noise. The stock rubber mounts are there to prevent it from transmitting into the cabin. Make that mount harder and more of the noise makes it into the cabin.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

i guess ill have to put the stock bushings back in then, as i can't stand that whine which is exactly what it sounds like. The only reason i bought them in the first place was cause they advertised them as getting rid of the clunking while shifting. What out there does get rid of the clunking. Does the moustache bar elimination help eliminate the clunking?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostedAWD91
i guess ill have to put the stock bushings back in then, as i can't stand that whine which is exactly what it sounds like. The only reason i bought them in the first place was cause they advertised them as getting rid of the clunking while shifting. What out there does get rid of the clunking. Does the moustache bar elimination help eliminate the clunking?
Dont know about the removal ---how ever the combination of moustache bar bushings and diff bushing fixed the clunking in my 8.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 03:22 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah it depends where you look, some people say you have to remove it and some say you don't so i guess its whatever route you wanna go
Old Jun 8, 2013, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Moustache Bar Eliminator will be far worse on noise as they are solid aluminum bushings instead of urethane...
Old Jun 8, 2013, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Weird i just installed the energy rear diff and mustache bar bushings and while i did pick up a slight whine around 70 or so the clunk while shifting completely went away. I just turn the radio up a little on the hwy and cant even hear it.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
You have three options

1 -- Stock bushings -- no gear lash noise and serious clunk on hard shifts

2-- ES Bushings or any other brand -- more gear lash noise and almost no clunk on shifts

3 -- solid bushings -- Max noise and zero clunk ever.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

well seeing the urethane bushings did absolutely nothing for the clunking noise, which the original reason i put them in, i guess ill just go back to stock bushings. Anyway want to trade you stock mounts for mounts with urethane bushings installed + cash?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
I have stockers you can have for the shipping price. If you replace the mustache bar bushings also, the clunk will go away but with even more noise.
Old Jun 8, 2013, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Replace the mustache bar bushings as well, alittle whine can be drowned out by the radio, whereas that clunk will only get worse with stock bushings
Old Jun 8, 2013, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BoostedAWD91
well seeing the urethane bushings did absolutely nothing for the clunking noise, which the original reason i put them in, i guess ill just go back to stock bushings. Anyway want to trade you stock mounts for mounts with urethane bushings installed + cash?
Did you put bushings in the mustache bar as well or just the rear diff?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Last summer I installed the ES rear diff bushings (mustache bar included). No clunk and a not-so-overwhelming whine from 75-85mph. Thats about it.

A few friends used the same ES bushings and all had the same results. Seems Energy Suspension found a sweet spot with bushing stiffness. You could try upgrading your driveshaft carrier bushings. I didn't notice a huge difference but might help *shrugs*

Last edited by Thore; Jun 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had white line rear bushings fitted on my evo 8 MR (JDM Evo, I don't know if they have the same diff as the USDM spec), and it fixed the clunking without any noise from the drive train.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Whine with Rear Diff Busings