Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4g64 timing help!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4g64 timing help!

i need help in setting up the timing for my 4g64 block, it is a 2.1l with a 4g63 head and i know you have to retard the timing 3.75 degrees, but still im confused i need you guys to help me out.

timing belt is of 4g63's
skunkworks camgears

look at these pictures and tell me am i doing it right or wrong?

my tuner said that it was wrong but im confused, if the 3.75 mark lines up with the valve cover mark i should be right...
Attached Thumbnails 4g64 timing help!-rsz_20130607_150139.jpg   4g64 timing help!-rsz_20130607_150126.jpg   4g64 timing help!-rsz_20130607_150154.jpg  
Old Jun 11, 2013, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cam timing is wrong! The inner gear tdc marks should line up to the rocker cover marks..... So the larger middle line between +/-..... Forget about the outer cam gear mark
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoyrrah
Cam timing is wrong! The inner gear tdc marks should line up to the rocker cover marks..... So the larger middle line between +/-..... Forget about the outer cam gear mark
yes, but the keyhole mark in the middle is at -3.75 degrees and lines up to the valve cover mark..

im not looking at the out cam gear mark at all.

is my timing out by alot or little?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

You need to forget about this 3.75 ****.... Every motor is different .... Just line up the inner tdc marks to the valve cover marks and your done
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:38 PM
Evolving Member

^^^^assuming that your crank is lined up
Old Jun 11, 2013, 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoyrrah
You need to forget about this 3.75 ****.... Every motor is different .... Just line up the inner tdc marks to the valve cover marks and your done
you mean to say to line up the middle long (- +) mark to the valve cover mark?

and should i bring the keyhole mark back to the middle longer line aswell?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:18 AM
Evolved Member

is this correct now? can someone please chime in..
Attached Thumbnails 4g64 timing help!-rsz_20130612_143701.jpg   4g64 timing help!-rsz_20130612_143723.jpg   4g64 timing help!-rsz_20130612_143810.jpg  
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I cant directly answer your alignment question for a stroker. I will say this-- before you crank that thing if you have any doubts, turn that motor over by hand at least two revolutions be be sure you dont have piston to valve contact--if by chance you do you wont be able to turn the motor over as it will bind. Better to find out this way--then by new valves. GL.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
I cant directly answer your alignment question for a stroker. I will say this-- before you crank that thing if you have any doubts, turn that motor over by hand at least two revolutions be be sure you dont have piston to valve contact--if by chance you do you wont be able to turn the motor over as it will bind. Better to find out this way--then by new valves. GL.
i already started the motor on the previous timing marks, it stated fine,idled fine and drove fine, with just a little vibration at 5000rpms maybe thats cause i removed the balance shafts, but my tuner insisted that the timing was wrong and to change it...

i have changed it now just waiting for someone to say this looks fine then i'll start it up and complete the breaking in..
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Heres my thread on timing the 4G64

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...evo-8-9-a.html

You will need to line up the timing mark on the cam and line that up with the valve cover. Then you need to advance the cam going towards the intake.

In the second set of pictures, you are wrong. The cams are going towards the exhaust. They should be going the other way.

I used a degree wheel. I recommend that because the 3.75 is a ball park number. The degree will vary depending on how much the head and block were decked. Mine ended up being 3.45.

With the adjustable gears, you can go 7 degrees each way and it will still run. You wont really notice a difference until you are tuning and start messing with the cam timing to dial it in, then pick up some HP. Going past 7 degres it will start to run poorly.

Mine vibrates as well without the balance shafts. Its not as bad as i thought it would be.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolve_VIII
Heres my thread on timing the 4G64

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...evo-8-9-a.html

You will need to line up the timing mark on the cam and line that up with the valve cover. Then you need to advance the cam going towards the intake.

In the second set of pictures, you are wrong. The cams are going towards the exhaust. They should be going the other way.

I used a degree wheel. I recommend that because the 3.75 is a ball park number. The degree will vary depending on how much the head and block were decked. Mine ended up being 3.45.

With the adjustable gears, you can go 7 degrees each way and it will still run. You wont really notice a difference until you are tuning and start messing with the cam timing to dial it in, then pick up some HP. Going past 7 degres it will start to run poorly.

Mine vibrates as well without the balance shafts. Its not as bad as i thought it would be.
okay so i need the keyhole mark on the inside of the cam gear to be in +3.75?
is that what your saying?

and the middle long line between the - + will be lined up to the valve cover mark like it is in the second set of pictures?

in the picture in your thread your mark is in +3.75...should i do the same?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by babaz7
okay so i need the keyhole mark on the inside of the cam gear to be in +3.75?
is that what your saying?

and the middle long line between the - + will be lined up to the valve cover mark like it is in the second set of pictures?

in the picture in your thread your mark is in +3.75...should i do the same?
Yes. The timing dot on the outside of the gear will be lined up with the timing mark on the cover. If you have the AMS tool, you can lock the gears and then move the cam in the +3.75 degree range.

Again use a degree wheel. You can probably find a youtube video of how to use one. Will will get you to 0 degrees of cam timing with the taller deck height. Then you can mess with the cam timing and adjust tq and hp curves.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Yes. The timing dot on the outside of the gear will be lined up with the timing mark on the cover. If you have the AMS tool, you can lock the gears and then move the cam in the +3.75 degree range.

Again use a degree wheel. You can probably find a youtube video of how to use one. Will will get you to 0 degrees of cam timing with the taller deck height. Then you can mess with the cam timing and adjust tq and hp curves.
is this correct now?
Attached Thumbnails 4g64 timing help!-rsz_20130613_184327.jpg   4g64 timing help!-rsz_20130613_182247.jpg   4g64 timing help!-rsz_20130613_184359.jpg  
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

The cam gears are set correctly but you need to set the timing dot on the gear to line up with the timing mark on the cover.

With the way it is set now, you rotated the gear 3.75 degrees and left the cam in the exact same spot.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

The cam gears are set correctly but you need to set the timing dot on the gear to line up with the timing mark on the cover.

With the way it is set now, you rotated the gear 3.75 degrees and left the cam in the exact same spot.
sir if i move the timing dot to line up with the valve cover mark, the key hole mark beneth the timing dot will move with it aswell...

will the timing be not out again?

Quick Reply: 4g64 timing help!