Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Buschur Down Pipe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TommiM
If you would have it bought it new from Buschur it shows that the dp comes with the hardware,https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...roducts_id=977
Why state the obvious? I had an oppertunity to buy it used for more than half off. No dents perfect condition. Why would I buy it new with an oppertunity like that, it makes no sense. I knew I was going to have to find hardware, and so I posted this thread for help. Sure enough I found help and $4 later I have an awesome DP that I paid hardly anything for. Now is the leak issue, which people who purchased it new also have.

That mentality is ridiculous. In that case I should have bought my Evo new, in 2006. There should be no for sale section.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DropThatHammer
Why state the obvious? I had an oppertunity to buy it used for more than half off. No dents perfect condition. Why would I buy it new with an oppertunity like that, it makes no sense. I knew I was going to have to find hardware, and so I posted this thread for help. Sure enough I found help and $4 later I have an awesome DP that I paid hardly anything for. Now is the leak issue, which people who purchased it new also have.

That mentality is ridiculous. In that case I should have bought my Evo new, in 2006. There should be no for sale section.
First off, that's great you had an opportunity to buy a buschur dp used in great condition. I never said buying used is a bad thing.

I interpreted your post as you were stating that the hardware was not included when you purchased it off Buschur new. All I was saying is that I read it on his site that hardware was included, and I posted the link to prove, that is all. Your jumping to conclusions as Im not saying anything about you buying anything used as being bad, yes that mentality would be ridiculous.

Hope you get your leak issue resolved.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 04:44 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by 90zcrex
Buschur downpipe doesn't use a gasket which is pretty stupid if you ask me, I've searched and found plenty of people with leaks. I had a leak as well which threw my wideband off at idle. I found this gasket that somebody on the forums was using and it works perfectly, it's a round crush seal gasket for a catalytic converter on a mazda, havn't had a leak since.

http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/pr...N3H140305.html

Ordered what I think is the advanced auto parts equivalent for 7 dollars will be here tomorrow. Ill let y'all know if it works out
Old Jul 6, 2013, 07:09 AM
EvoM Guru

2.75~ is the id of the gasket picked it up this morn
Old Jul 7, 2013, 11:45 AM

I used the Mazda gasket and still seem to have a leak
Old Jul 7, 2013, 12:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Then ill sell this and get a map o2 elim. I don't need a 4 month old breathing this stuff in
Old Jul 7, 2013, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Then ill sell this and get a map o2 elim. I don't need a 4 month old breathing this stuff in
I would at least try the gasket, Mine sealed the leak up perfectly.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 02:48 PM
EvoM Guru

For sure gonna try it
Old Jul 7, 2013, 09:08 PM

I would at least try the gasket, Mine sealed the leak up perfectly.
I took pictures of my install ill post them tomorrow. I'm trying to get ahold of a stock 02 housing so I can take my down pipe off and examine how they connect.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 04:08 AM
Evolving Member

The stock O2 housing and most aftermarket housings are supposed to use the oem style donut gasket. While this works fine on the stock downpipe and most aftermarket downpipes, the buschur pipe is supposed to be a slip fit over the O2 housing without a gasket.
Basically the little lip that protrudes out from the O2 housing where the stock donut gasket usually slips over, is supposed to seal inside the downpipe.
Although this is a good idea in theory, the reality is that both the downpipe and the O2 housing have to be made perfectly and be perfectly clean in order to seal good. Also it doesn't take into consideration having an older stock O2 housing with some rust and pitting on it.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 04:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Between my muse o2 and Megan o2 the exit pipes were slightly different diameters
Old Jul 8, 2013, 11:12 AM

The stock O2 housing and most aftermarket housings are supposed to use the oem style donut gasket. While this works fine on the stock downpipe and most aftermarket downpipes, the buschur pipe is supposed to be a slip fit over the O2 housing without a gasket.
Basically the little lip that protrudes out from the O2 housing where the stock donut gasket usually slips over, is supposed to seal inside the downpipe.
Although this is a good idea in theory, the reality is that both the downpipe and the O2 housing have to be made perfectly and be perfectly clean in order to seal good. Also it doesn't take into consideration having an older stock O2 housing with some rust and pitting on it.
That's exactly how I imagined it to work, being that the Buschur has a reducer where it meets the 02 housing. But I imagine that the 02 housing does not slip into the down pipe as it should, almost as if the Buschur down pipe needs to be bored out maybe 1-2cm more. I just imagine improper fitment and it's stressing me out. That's why I want to take both the 02 housing and down pipe and put them on a table and examine what small modification needs to be done on order to stop the leak.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DropThatHammer
That's exactly how I imagined it to work, being that the Buschur has a reducer where it meets the 02 housing. But I imagine that the 02 housing does not slip into the down pipe as it should, almost as if the Buschur down pipe needs to be bored out maybe 1-2cm more. I just imagine improper fitment and it's stressing me out. That's why I want to take both the 02 housing and down pipe and put them on a table and examine what small modification needs to be done on order to stop the leak.
Yea, My stock O2 housing slipped down into the buschur pipe but still leaked. After I got my megan O2 housing the megan wouldn't even fit down in the pipe like you are saying, I had to take a grinder and slowly grind the O2 housing down so that the Buschur pipe would fit over it.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 01:03 PM
EvoM Guru

My Megan fits inside the br dp but it has a fire ring
Old Jul 8, 2013, 10:01 PM

To the left is a 3'' flat gasket. On the right, is a 2007 Mazda RX-8 flange gasket.

The thickness of the gasket

The gasket installed. Normally, I guess you don't use gasket sealant, but I used some to hold the gasket to the 02 housing while positioning the down pipe. I made a mess Also, the gasket doesn't fit the 02 housing snug at all, it has a good amount of 'play' around the outlet piece of the 02 housing. This did help, but I still hear a leak and also smell exhaust at an idle. I also replaced the spring bolts for proper fitting bolts and washers.

Quick Reply: Buschur Down Pipe