Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cleaned Maf / Throttle Body -- Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2013, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaned Maf / Throttle Body -- Car won't start

Hello, I just today bought some Maf and Throttle body / intake cleaner from autozone. Me and my mechanic took off the battery cable to make sure the ecu was reset by the time we finished cleaning the Maf / intake / and throttle body on my Evo IX

After cleaning them we put the battery back on and the car wouldn't start... It starts to crank but it will not start. We reversed all of our steps countless times to make sure everything was tight, we even checked fuses to make sure nothing blew after putting the battery back on.

We are completely out of ideas on how the car wouldn't start after a simple clean. Though after searching on google looks like tons of threads of people not being able to start their car after a Maf / Throttle body cleaning but I am aiming toward the issue having something to do with the throttle body because the car should start even with the maf being broken I have been told. Some of the other threads with other cars talked about the tb cleaning "flooded it" and to keep cranking it untill it starts..... please help :{

Any ideas would be great. Thank you the amazing Mitsubishi community.

UPDATE: Issue was solved thanks to the great evom community. Thanks again guys

Last edited by breadn56; Jul 2, 2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MAF sensor plugged in?

How did you clean the TB? Don't clean the inside of the throttle plate. It won't seal right. If you did then you'll need to get Molykte 321. I cleaned mine and my car would start though.

GL.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:06 PM

Thanks for the response, we tried both with the MAF plugged in and not plugged in. Idk if he cleaned the throttle plate, all I saw him do to the throttle body was pull out the intercooler piping that's connected to it and sprayed inside. Thats it -

I looked online and it seems lots of people in many different cars have had this problem after cleaning the throttle body and / or MAF and it seems it might just need a longer time to dry or we ****ed one of the sensors. Any more information would be awsome.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:41 PM

I seem to recall reading a MAF cleaner label and it explicitly called out that it was not to be used on a Mitsubishi. It's been ages since i've looked though, but it may be worth checking to see if it may have been the culprit.

-Mike
Old Jun 30, 2013, 05:49 PM

Mike wow you are right, it does say do not use on Mitsubishi's .... wtf how is this my luck. Anyone have any idea what I need to do now... I used CRC MAF cleaner and it says it in very small text. I read tons of threads on it already and everyone on the evom forums says they have used it with no problems. I am at a lost of words

Last edited by breadn56; Jun 30, 2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by breadn56
Mike wow you are right, it does say do not use on Mitsubishi's .... wtf how is this my luck. Anyone have any idea what I need to do now... I used CRC MAF cleaner and it says it in very small text. I read tons of threads on it already and everyone on the evom forums says they have used it with no problems. I am at a lost of words
I wonder if the element in the MAF is too sensitive for that cleaner. If so, then get a used MAF or go SD.

It must be dry by now. Have you tried starting up recently?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can use that spray but just don't blast the hell out of the hotwire with the straw on the can. Hold it at a distance and spray with the straw off. The car will start whether the MAFS is bad or not so look for problems elsewhere. Any CEL?
Old Jun 30, 2013, 06:51 PM

Thanks for all the responses, my mechanic(best friend) is a bit lazy sometimes cause he does these kind of things mostly for free for me so we didn't physically remove the Maf or throttle body from the car, only the intake to clean it. For the Maf he just sprayed into the honey-comb with both using the straw and not using the straw. Then I saw him take off the pipe connected to the throttle body and spray into the throttle body. That is all that was done to the car. Also on a side note the car was still warm when we did all this which I also heard not to do before cleaning. And we tried to check for a CEL but evoscan just came back with a read error.

Last edited by breadn56; Jun 30, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Try to check if you getting fuel and spark.
Old Jun 30, 2013, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope the ECU didn't fry a wire. A bad sensor should throw a code but since I had a crank/ no start issue last year, disable the immobilizer with ECUFlash and see if it starts. That ended up being my problem and it's worth the few seconds to try.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
You can use that spray but just don't blast the hell out of the hotwire with the straw on the can. Hold it at a distance and spray with the straw off. The car will start whether the MAFS is bad or not so look for problems elsewhere. Any CEL?

+1. Been using CRC MAF Cleaner 8 yrs on EVO MAF's as said above dont break thae wire inside with the straw and you'll be fine.

Your issue is elsewhere
Old Jul 1, 2013, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Evo scan wont read? Do you have access to another code scanner? If that doesnt read you likely have a power problem to the pcm.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Did you plug the IAC back in?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 06:35 AM
Evolved Member

Hold the pedal to the floor and crank it a few times. Let us know what happens. ;-)
Old Jul 1, 2013, 02:27 PM

UPDATE: Thanks for all the replys, looks like it was the chemicals flooding the throttle body, just needed a night to evaporate or whatever. Its running but I still have my idle issue, it catches itself from dying when coming to stops especially on stop and go driving its terrible.

Last edited by breadn56; Jul 1, 2013 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Cleaned Maf / Throttle Body -- Car won't start