Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Starting problems.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 04:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting problems.

I've been having intermittent starting problems over the past few years. I changed the starter and the new one I put in didn't work. I put the old one back in and it worked fine for awhile and started having intermittent failures again.

a year goes by, the starter finally starts cranking slowly. I thought the battery was dying due to the slow crank. I changed the battery. Didn't help. I installed a new started just 15 minutes ago, and it just clicks. If I keep trying I can get it to start on about the 10th try. when I shut it off, I have to turn the key another 5-10 times to get it to start again.

The symptoms sound like a classic starter problem. Turn key, starter clicks, must need a starter. Any other I've worked on with that symptom, needs a starter. But my Evo, for some reason, when I install a new starter it doesn't make a difference.

Like I said, I can get it to start if I just keep trying. But mostly it's just a click from the starter trying to engage. Not sure what's going on... any input?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ied-fixed.html
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Miracle, you are. I'm going to go check this out. Thank you.

I'll admit, I didn't search, this time. Last I tried to fix problem was well before that thread existed.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 05:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, that thread saved me too. Was dealing with that same issue for years until I found that thread.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

I took the cover off and checked to see if the switch was rotating when turning the key. I didn't notice anything. I removed the switch completely and tried to start the car with JUST the switch. Still, just getting a click from the starter. Unfortunately, I don't think this is my problem.

I did notice on occasion when turning the key, a bit of smoke will come from the switch when it sparks. I'm thinking this could be indicating a bad ignition switch. My question is, do the key's need to be reprogrammed if the switch is replaced?

Is there anything else to check? New battery, new starter, the switch does not rotate when I turn the key.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

I think I may have fixed it, time will tell. The car started today so I drove it to work. Since I noticed the smoke coming from the ignition switch, a friend suggested taking it apart and cleaning it. Well two contacts were burnt and a deep dimple in the flat, opposite contact. We grinded the contacts down, re-greased the switch with dielectric grease, and the car has been starting perfectly, with no smoke or smell coming from the switch. It seems to start better too, may just be in my head.

Really, it needs an ignition switch. But I was able to fix it. If it starts appending again, I'll replace the switch.

It was NOT rotating as the other thread states. It is switch related, just not the exact same problem. It was an internal failure of the switch. Not so much it just not being screwed down tightly, or rotating.