Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy twin disk slipping already?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy twin disk slipping already?

Well, long story short. I bought my evo 9 with an Exedy twin disk in it installed already. Clutch worked amazing. Previous own stated 1500 miles on the clutch when I bought it and 2 passes on the track. I drove the car around for majbe 5000 miles clutch worked perfect, did have a few highway pulls but no launches. I took it to the track last month and had only 2 passes down the track. Both passes I had a ****ty launch ( not dumping the clutch ) . After that day at the track I noticed getting into gear was hard. Over period of time driving normally i noticed shifting was alot harder.

Yesterday a few buddies and I decided to take our evos to the track. I made 2 passes without a problem and good launches. On my third pass on the launch I took off amazing but half way through first i noticed my clutch just give up. I shifted to second and it slipped like crazy. going into third stepping on it my rpms just reved up and I noticed on my clutch pedal its light and feel where the clutch grabs a tiny bit.

Also noticed while stationary it will not go in gear at all while car is on and clutch pressed in all the way. I have to turn the car off and put it in gear and start it up. While driving it has a hard time going in gears ive noticed the higher the rpms the easier it gets in gear. Also while driving and go in boost it slips but you can feel the clutch trying to grab and makes the car shake.

My car only made 422whp and 346fttq. Ive had the clutch out 4 months ago while my car was being rebuilt and clutch was inspected, I was told that the clutch is in good condition. I tried bleeding the clutch 3 times and made no difference, and yes i made sure that the container is full on the right side.

Is there anything else I should look for before tearing it apart? And what could of caused it to give up so quick?

Thank you.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 09:34 AM

Any input?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 08:31 AM

Sounds to me like the previous owner did more than 1500 miles and "2" passes :P
I have a triple disc in mine and it doesn't even think of slipping lol
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by DropTheClutch
Sounds to me like the previous owner did more than 1500 miles and "2" passes :P
I have a triple disc in mine and it doesn't even think of slipping lol
Kinda same thing that was going through my head. Idk if I should just get rid of this clutch and get something alot more cheaper that can handle my power, or rebuild this one.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
These itches have smooth engagement. They do this by a larger flipper surface area, these things never last. If it isn't even the HD Unit it'll ware down right quick. The cost of these clutches plus the labor alone to do the clutch is downright criminal for how short they last. My XTSS has over 60k on it and not a hint if slip, smooth it is not but man up.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is it a sd or hd? if ita a sd i can see it happening
Old Aug 7, 2013, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by itsmrrizz2you
is it a sd or hd? if ita a sd i can see it happening
Its an HD. Im going to tear it apart soon and see how bad it is. I don't think I want to invest into a rebuild and have the same problem down the road.

What other clutches are out there that will hand my power without a problem?

Power: 423whp 346fttq.

Thank you
Old Aug 7, 2013, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

I heard good things about the new Quartermaster
Old Aug 7, 2013, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
. Ive had the clutch out 4 months ago while my car was being rebuilt and clutch was inspected.

So this is also an interesting statement..So the car meaning the engine...meaning it went south...or what exactly failed that the car needed a rebuild 4mos ago--? Was this also under your ownership. Not judging , just asking.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bbong
I heard good things about the new Quartermaster
Its one of the best clutchs I have ever seen I had the old style QM on my old EVO and it was great , Then I run this new QM 8 Leg on my EVO . I did Tons of power , Tons of pulls and Tons of runs on the dyno the car is over 880whp 700tqw and it works very Good .

Last edited by EVO(boss); Aug 29, 2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 04:00 AM
Evolved Member

Just go six puck and be done with it.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like one of the plates in there is warped, causing it not to disengage all the way. I had the same issue with a Excedy twin and the car wouldn't go into gear with the engine on. I'd recommend getting a new clutch in there sooner rather than later for the sake of your syncros. You could adjust your pedal to give more disengagement of the clutch which might allow you to extend driving it a little bit if needed.

I went with the ACT HD Street disk and have been very happy with it compared to the Excedy. I will say that with your current power levels, the HD may not be enough though.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by meckert
. Ive had the clutch out 4 months ago while my car was being rebuilt and clutch was inspected.

So this is also an interesting statement..So the car meaning the engine...meaning it went south...or what exactly failed that the car needed a rebuild 4mos ago--? Was this also under your ownership. Not judging , just asking.
I bought the car off of this forums, Was told the car was in perfect condition, jada jada jada. I flew out to pick the car up everything seemed excellent ( because the car was already warmed up) drove home. Next day car wouldnt start. After further investigation, I found out that I need a whole new bottom end and rebuilt head. Great..

Originally Posted by X Double Dot
sounds like one of the plates in there is warped, causing it not to disengage all the way. I had the same issue with a Excedy twin and the car wouldn't go into gear with the engine on. I'd recommend getting a new clutch in there sooner rather than later for the sake of your syncros. You could adjust your pedal to give more disengagement of the clutch which might allow you to extend driving it a little bit if needed.

I went with the ACT HD Street disk and have been very happy with it compared to the Excedy. I will say that with your current power levels, the HD may not be enough though.
Thats exactly what mine does. Will not go in gear when car is on and stationary. And when you do start it in gear car moves forward, or reverse depending on what gear your in. I only drive it for emergency's so i'm not hard on the syncros. Every once in a while when I shift ill feel it grinding. .
Old Aug 8, 2013, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

I never understood why anyone would get an Exedy, so expensive and the consistently fail prematurely.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 03:26 PM

I have about 20k on my Exedy twin HD and it's still perfect. Seems to hold up to the abuse very well not to mention it's extremely easy to drive. I'm not making huge power or anything though just a stock turbo/e85 setup. Maybe OP got lied to.

Quick Reply: Exedy twin disk slipping already?