Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Breaking up under high boost after cam install

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2013, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breaking up under high boost after cam install

Hello All,

So last weekend I installed my GSC S2's, ti retainers, and springs. Got the car all back together, kicked right over, broke in the cams. Car drives as stock, idles as stock, part throttle is like stock. I really love these cams! My issues is under high boost (+25 psi) the car breaks up badly. It appears to be spark blowout so I pulled the plugs (ILFR7H) and regapped them to .018, they were previously .020. This seemed to help but it is still breaking up. We are currently working on the tune since it was pretty lean mid range from the cam swap, but it appears even with richer afr it is still breaking up. Car is stock bottom end, ef4, MAP short runner manifold, fic 1100s, single 255, 30 psi, spoolin new coils, full bolt ons.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your gap seems pretty conservative, so I'd be surprised if that was the issue. I would try simple things first. I would try new spark plugs as thats a cheap check. At the same time, I'd check the little springs up in the coils and make sure they are getting good contact on the spark plugs. I couldn't imagine you'd need to stretch them out as you mentioned "new cop", but I'd check to make sure one isn't bent or something.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks bud. I will check those things out and report back my findings.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

ummmm are you tuned for the cams?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Update, pulled the coils to inspect the springs, three out of four appear to be fine but the fourth is loose, as in when I shake the whole row of coils the suspicious one shakes and all the rest don't move an inch. Ideas?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Also ordered new plugs. In the mean time while the plugs get in I am going to swap the stock coils back on and see if my blowout issue follows the coils, I had the stock coils on when I made 437 whp so I don't foresee an issue.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Swapped the coils, appears that was atleast part of the issue. Car does not break up mid range under WOT anymore, although still is breaking up a bit up top, but I was able to make 29 lbs unlike before. Still stumped as to why its still breaking up at all, this car has never even stumbled before at WOT on 30 lbs.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Bump, waiting until Monday to have my tuner send me a new rom, hopefully the tune just needs cleaned up and that will sort the breaking up issue. I have a new set of plugs to put in tomorrow, worth a try I guess, old plugs have been in their for at least 2 years with an unknown service life from when I first got the car. Anyone else run into similar issues as me?
Old Aug 11, 2013, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Swapped in new plugs, breaking up is completely gone. I am going to swap the COP ack on to confirm it was an issue in the first place.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 03:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what plugs did you go with if you don't mind me asking
Old Aug 11, 2013, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Vieneli
what plugs did you go with if you don't mind me asking
In the first post man.

Originally Posted by Frew
Hello All,

So last weekend I installed my GSC S2's, ti retainers, and springs. Got the car all back together, kicked right over, broke in the cams. Car drives as stock, idles as stock, part throttle is like stock. I really love these cams! My issues is under high boost (+25 psi) the car breaks up badly. It appears to be spark blowout so I pulled the plugs (ILFR7H) and regapped them to .018, they were previously .020. This seemed to help but it is still breaking up. We are currently working on the tune since it was pretty lean mid range from the cam swap, but it appears even with richer afr it is still breaking up. Car is stock bottom end, ef4, MAP short runner manifold, fic 1100s, single 255, 30 psi, spoolin new coils, full bolt ons.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:59 AM

first thing that comes to mind is the cam sensor was installed incorrectly
Old Aug 12, 2013, 10:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ car would barley run if at all if the cam sensosr were installed incorrectly.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by sr20det91
^^ car would barley run if at all if the cam sensosr were installed incorrectly.
Not from my experience

My friend had an issue with top end, tuner went through the car couldnt figure it out.

Cant remember exactly what the issue was with the sensor, bit I do know it went back to the cam sensor being improperly installed
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by allevolution
first thing that comes to mind is the cam sensor was installed incorrectly
Car drove perfectly fine besides high boost wot. Sending the coils to spoolinup for him to check them out. Having other issues now with reaching peak boost. Back to troubleshooting.

Quick Reply: Breaking up under high boost after cam install