Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

4th and Reverse Gear Grind?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2013, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th and Reverse Gear Grind?

Hi, new to evolutionm. I have an 03 RR Evo 8. Just hit 72000 today

Mods are: IX Turbo, 3in TBE, Test Pipe, 21 lbs of boost, Buschwacker trans, shep tcase, cusco ls diff, and Megan coils.

Previous owner says the trans, tcase, and diff were built but Im not sure how to verify. Any marking i should look for?

Nothing special but its a good platform to build off. I didnt want to buy someone elses project car.

My problem is when I shift from High 3rd to 4th in one shot it grinds a little but goes in. Downshifting from 5th to 4th grinds a little too. I can make it not grind too bad buy clutch in, drop the rpms to idle, slide into with, clutch out. Could my syncros be going or do i need a new 4th gear?

Also, Reverse gear grinds when going in sometime.

Thanks for the help everyone
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:51 AM

bumpp
Old Aug 18, 2013, 09:07 PM

bump...need help
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'll help you, I've read about 50hours about Evo transmission and oils. I'm sure I've read all the threads about it on these forums.

First read this:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ja...smissions.html

Worn synchros could also be causing that. Do you know which oil you have in trans?

Start by using Redline MT85.
If your synchros are really worn out, I'd use pennzoil synchromesh if you only daily drive it (no racing with that). I had your exact issue when I bought the car, switched to synchromesh and since 3 years it still running very strong, quick engagement, no bearing noise, no issue. I drain gearbox fluid every 10kmiles. Many owners use it, and some guys may discourage you from using it, but only you decide what you will do. What I can say is I use it and have experience with it, no matter what others can say.

You will read in the link above:
DO NOT use Synchromesh, BG Synchroshift I or II, or Royal Purple. These fluids will destroy synchros and gears and void your warranty!
If you use it and it worns gear and synchros faster, no problem you still end up rebuilding it but using the synchromesh can push the rebuild years away from now. Really worth the 50$.

Good luck.

Last edited by domyz; Aug 18, 2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

hmmm ill be curious i didnt think with the bushwhacker that your synchros would be going... hmnmm
Old Aug 19, 2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by domyz
I'll help you, I've read about 50hours about Evo transmission and oils. I'm sure I've read all the threads about it on these forums.

First read this:

Worn synchros could also be causing that. Do you know which oil you have in trans?

If your synchros are really worn out, I'd use pennzoil synchromesh if you only daily drive it (no racing with that). I had your exact issue when I bought the car, switched to synchromesh and since 3 years it still running very strong, quick engagement, no bearing noise, no issue. I drain gearbox fluid every 10kmiles. Many owners use it, and some guys may discourage you from using it, but only you decide what you will do. What I can say is I use it and have experience with it, no matter what others can say.

If you use it and it worns gear and synchros faster, no problem you still end up rebuilding it but using the synchromesh can push the rebuild years away from now. Really worth the 50$.

Good luck.

ill check for clutch drag. I have an act clutch. I have experienced 4th gear lockout as well
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by domyz

First read this:

Good luck.
Checked for clutch drag and I didnt experience it. Ill shop around for synchromesh. I wanted to check the transfluid. How do you do so? I cant find a dipstick in the engine bay. Do I have to put it on the lift?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
there is no dip stick
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i dont mean to mess with you or dom... but do not run syncromesh... if anything run OEM 6spd fluid... all the major trans builders say don't do it as well... i'm not an expert but i trust the experts...

it does kinda sound like your clutch is dragging but they rarely only effect one gear... the ones i have seen locked out 3/4/5 all at the same time... 4th gear syncro takes a pretty good beating especially in a car built like yours...
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/co...fluid-diaqueen

quick reference on oil types to use...
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/oil

note the transmission all mitsu paragraph
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by joseph143
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/co...fluid-diaqueen

quick reference on oil types to use...
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/oil

note the transmission all mitsu paragraph
With a transmission that is due for a rebuild, I don't see any problem trying to extent his life with synchromesh.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

I had the same issues,replaced clutch and 3rd and 4th gear syncros together with the clips and springs.Now it shifts smooth and even my reverse doesn't struggle to go in when the car is cold...like it used to.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:28 AM
Gold Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Changing the fluid will be a waste of time. Once a synchro grinds, it's over. The synchros are wiped out and there is nothing that can be done other that tearing the trans down and replacing them.

If the trans 'blocks' you from a gear, then you have a clutch problem and the synchro is doing its job.

Jack
Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:34 AM

My third always grinds and (same issue with your 4th) 5th will grind at higher RPMs. Just had a new clutch and flywheel put in and OEM fluids as well. Everything I've read and from experience tells me that the syncros are bad (3rd) or going (5th). I'm just going to get a Shep trans and scrap/sell the stock trans to fund it. 1200 for new trans or 1200 to rebuild... hmmmm.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jacks Transmissions
Changing the fluid will be a waste of time. Once a synchro grinds, it's over. The synchros are wiped out and there is nothing that can be done other that tearing the trans down and replacing them.

If the trans 'blocks' you from a gear, then you have a clutch problem and the synchro is doing its job.

Jack
Not wanting to argue with you or your experience, but it did happen to me with brand new stock fluid 3 years ago (4th grind). I switched to pennzoil synchromesh. No problem since. I wouldn't call this a "waste of time".
I know some day I'll have to rebuild the tranny with new gears, synchros etc... but adding 3 years and 60kmiles is pretty darn good for a fluid.

Quick Reply: 4th and Reverse Gear Grind?