Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Manual Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2013, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Steering Rack

I wanna eliminate power steering to save time, weight and to build a less complicated vehicle.

I searched the boards and I couldn't find anything about manual steering rack, I don't want to use the stock rack with the lines looped. I imagine a real manual rack will be easier to use than non assisted power rack.

On www.lancerregister.com , I seen couple of guys talking about early Mitsubishi Colt racks but only for "early evo's", I guess they are talking abut Evo 1-3:

Originally Posted by xlr8
non-powered rack from Proton/Mitsi Colt hatch should work.....
http://www.lancerregister.com/showpo...12&postcount=2

But than I seen this post ;

Originally Posted by JIGGA
Just to keep everyone updated on my power steering findings up to date.

1) No manual racks available, at least for evos 4 and up. I even went out and tried other racks from different manufacturers with not much luck.
http://www.lancerregister.com/showpo...25&postcount=9

Than i saw this drag shell for sale with a Mustang II rack;

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...ove-quick.html

I find the higher resolution version of this picture on photographers flicker account;

Than I saw DB's message;

Originally Posted by David Buschur
Removing the power steering on an EVO and leaving the stock rack is nearly suicidal. Believe me, don't do it. When we built our Black drag EVO we removed it, it was nearly impossible to control. Then we had a custom Mustang 2 rack built for it, manual rack, and that fixed the issues we were having. Without a proper manual rack it's a poor idea.
-------

Plus our LHD racks are behind the front wheels which make our car "Rear Steer", I looked Woodward's manual steering racks but they dropped their rear steer steering racks.

Also there are two different ratios; steering ratio and rack ratio.

Steering ratio depends on; rack ratio and dimensional properties of the car and denotes how car turns where;

Rack ratio depends on the gearing inside the rack and expressed in inches or millimeters of rack travel per turn of the pinion or steering wheel.

So; I need to measure the "rack ratio" of the OEM Steering Rack first, than I may find a similar ratio steering rack.

In the worst case I am going to retro-fit Mustang II steering rack into OEM K-member, if it is possible.

Flamign River offers different size Mustang II racks;

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.ph...ts/c0013/s0002

Does any body fitted a manual steering rack in his Evo ?

Last edited by redonion; Aug 30, 2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for posting all your info first of all

I went round and round on this trying to simplify things but in the end it started to get way too complicated

I wanted to remove the power steering for weight loss and use another solution like an electric p/s
pump but that just relocated it,no weight reduction plus you still have to cool the p/s fluid,then I thought of a power assist system similar to what S2E used but it wasn't cost effective and also those are mappable so then your complicating things with more electronics,no weight reduction there also and quite possibly weight added

I'm installing a dry sump on my track car so I then found a solution where you have a direct drive pump mounted directly on the back of the dry sump oil pump,that's where I finally drew the line
Although its not a solution for the everyday guy it was simply the best option for my setup,the pump is now located right at the level of where the oil pan seals to the block on the front of the motor,I'm using the Full Race top mount turbo so no clearance issues

The other nice thing about the location is the length of the plumbing ,no need for it to loop around the whole motor now,also with the KRC direct drive pumps there are flow fittings which are interchangeable to fine tune steering feel,more flow less feel,less flow more feel

Other benefits are low c/g and I did drop weight ,I think the stock p/s pump weighs like 12llbs,this pump weighs just a tad over 3llbs ,additional weight loss in plumbing also
The only down side was overall cost,the pumps run around $500 plus the cost of mounting it to the dry sump pump ,plumbing etc and a proper vented power steering reservoir
I was so tired of fluid spillage from my stock p/s reservoir

Last edited by flyingscot; Aug 31, 2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 06:38 AM
Evolving Member

I have converted racks before, all it takes is to open your rack up and cut the seals off the inside, not just the rubber part but the entire mount too so no pressure will build up as you move the rack back and forth. The grease it well and put it back together and cap the in and outlet.

If your looking for a wright up check on miataturbo.net
Old Aug 31, 2013, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes it can and has been done but I think our beloved Evo was given power steering for a reason,it definitely has its benefits for serious track cars
Ever tried to move a car with 12" tires in the pits with no engine running,feels like the steering wheel might break off in your hands
Old Sep 3, 2013, 08:43 AM

Flaming River just identified the rack on the black drag car.

It is a Omni style rear steer manual rack.

These racks offer approx 5” of travel and 4.00 turns lock to lock and they are available in overall lengths of 45” and 41.7”.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.ph...ts/c0013/s0004
Old Sep 3, 2013, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
When you say track, I hope you are talking drag racing? If so, "dumbing down" the rack ratio to 4 turns for 5" of travel is exactly what you need to do. Otherwise, you won't have enough mechanical advantage over the wheels and the car will be very difficult to control. You'd need to combine the different rack with a tubular sub-frame. Ditch the sawy bars and run the exhaust out infront of the subframe and you could make a pretty simple subframe that would save a ton of weight though.

If you are talking road racing, this is a terrible idea.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 01:34 PM

Today I measured the stock rack, it is 2.3" per turn and 5.5" for lock to lock.

I measured this via regular ruler so this is not %100 accurate.