Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Cast Race Manifold for the 4G63

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
No data.

I asked quite a few questions. None of them were met with anything concrete.
I think that possible improvements will be highly dependent on setup. The challenge with getting more power using an aftermarket exhaust manifold is that the flow resistance of the manifold plays second fiddle to the turbine pressure. About the best that can be expected is that the turbine pressure is no less than half of the boost pressure. For a 33 psi peak boost setup like mine where the lowest turbine pressure I see at WOT is about 25 psi, an exhaust manifold that gets me down to 23 psi isn't going to get me a noticable improvement in power. Back when I was running my BBK at 28 psi tapering to 26 psi, I tested three different manifolds in one day with minimal differences in power. One was stock, one was a 1.25" tubular manifold, and the other was a 1.5" tubular manifold. The power differences were within the scatter of the virtual dyno runs (5 whp).

A lower boost tune, e.g. a 20 psi peak boost tune with a 10 psi turbine pressure might actually see more benefit because the improved efficiency of the manifold might matter more. Or alternatively, an FP Black where the restriction at the turbine is less than my BBK might see more benefit than what I saw.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by R/TErnie
Maybe I missed it... but NO data?
I'd be interested in what material was used and what it does to spool/power.
Seems like no one here is asking questions.
Originally Posted by golgo13
No data.
I asked quite a few questions. None of them were met with anything concrete.
Originally Posted by AutoXMRIX
I'm not buying prototype until someone personally has tested it. Not from a manufacturer or some sales guy. I want a use case scenario with video of stock evo before and then after.
I asked and here's a response...lol! It's like a manufacturer built a car and just showed you pics and said, you can preorder but no specs. It's better and It's a surprise! LoL! Yeah Yeah, FP's got the reputation...blah blah blah. Show me the car fax!

Originally Posted by Ronnie Size
You must be new here. It's ok, we'll forgive your ignorance.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Maybe I missed it... but NO data?

I'd be interested in what material was used and what it does to spool/power.

Seems like no one here is asking questions.
quote from FP earlier in the thread:
We don't really focus on arbitrary dyno numbers that can be inflated/deflated at a whim, we focus on stuff that can't lie.

Like back pressure testing and CFD data. In both of these test our manifold has shown to perform better in every conceivable metric. We wouldn't waste out time spending tens of thousands of dollars in tooling and R&D if it wasn't better than a stock ported manifold.

As for what turbo would benefit from this manifold, all the way from Stock to the Black would benefit from it.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Oct 11, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 07:04 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
From fp?

Yup oct 4th.. Missed that mysf

Last edited by 211Ratsbud; Oct 10, 2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
We don't really focus on arbitrary dyno numbers that can be inflated/deflated at a whim, we focus on stuff that can't lie.

Like back pressure testing and CFD data. In both of these test our manifold has shown to perform better in every conceivable metric. We wouldn't waste out time spending tens of thousands of dollars in tooling and R&D if it wasn't better than a stock ported manifold.

As for what turbo would benefit from this manifold, all the way from Stock to the Black would benefit from it.
Problem is that their customers base everything off of dyno numbers. If you went to buy a car and they said "We don't focus on gas mileage, we focus on having a free flowing engine with low backpressure and good volumetric efficeincy" Nobody would buy it until they saw some numbers that they can compare too.

FP makes awesome products, it just seems kinda douchey to say "It's awesome, just buy it"
Old Oct 10, 2013, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure someone will throw it on the Dynojet soon. Only takes 5 minutes to swap manifolds after car has cooled down.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe

CFD is only as good as it's inputs... garbage in garbage out. back pressure just tells you back pressure, it doesn't tell you dyno numbers. We didn't get CFD or Backpressure data... OR dyno plots. We got a picture of a part that fits on the car.

Can you prove to me that it's better than a stock ported manifold? How can you say that when you don't have ANY data. NONE. Don't try and bull**** me Jerry.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151000274951780

Last edited by ihockey1; Oct 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So this does not work for the 8, and does not have twin scroll?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
what... it is twin scroll and will work with an 8...
Old Oct 11, 2013, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
CFD is only as good as it's inputs... garbage in garbage out. back pressure just tells you back pressure, it doesn't tell you dyno numbers. We didn't get CFD or Backpressure data... OR dyno plots. We got a picture of a part that fits on the car.

Can you prove to me that it's better than a stock ported manifold? How can you say that when you don't have ANY data. NONE. Don't try and bull**** me Jerry.
easy, this was a quote from FP earlier in the thread. sorry I should have stated that
Old Oct 15, 2013, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
CFD is only as good as it's inputs... garbage in garbage out.
Steady State flow analysis likely means VERY LITTLE. But I'm an FP Fanboy and would put my money on it working better then the OEM manifold.

Would I replace a perfectly good factory manifold with one? Probably not. But if I wanted to go back to a stock frame setup or if I had a cracked stock one, I'd buy this before I picked up a used stocker.

I'd also go this way before I did a stock frame welded pipe manifold. "Stock Framed" is already a comprimise, might as well maintain the heat shields and (likely) higher reliability of a cast piece.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Oct 15, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn if I still had an Evo I would be all over this, if it work half as good as their DSM cast manifold they have a winner.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 04:01 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I got in on the group buy and am now selling my CBRE ported manifold.

(Yes, that was a shameless plug, but I won't link it here)

We'll see how this does!
Old Oct 15, 2013, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
^^^ NO CROSSTHREADING!!!!! shameless plug

Quick Reply: FP Cast Race Manifold for the 4G63