Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Cast Race Manifold for the 4G63

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by golgo13
No one has one yet except Curt Brown and FP.

Try asking them?

Good thing curt lives 15 minutes from me, I just shot him a text and he said it looks like a very good piece, I purchased one for testing and will be having him port it.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah that's awesome....that man is a master.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:06 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by tony gibson
The cast manifold or the o2 dump or the FP Zero lol? I assume you mean the manifold.^^
The exhaust manifold.

It's designed for stock framed turbos. It uses the OEM heatshield, so logically it would follow that if you can use an OEM manifold with your existing set-up, this new piece from FP would work without issue.

Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

The exhaust manifold.

It's designed for stock framed turbos. It uses the OEM heatshield, so logically it would follow that if you can use an OEM manifold with your existing set-up, this new piece from FP would work without issue.

I'm thinking so too and it was kind of a dumb question...yes JM fab has an o2 dump designed for the stock mani which vents thru the hood....fireballs in the face action
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:59 AM

Maybe this will help shed some light on the porting option being absent on their site.

I called and talked to Mike @ FP about the porting option and why it wasn't there. Mike replied that depending on the quality of the casting the manifolds, they may or may not need porting. The main reason is because they are cast to flow well, but there could be a lip where it connects to the head/turbo, causing issue with the flow.

As for the prototype manifolds they already posted the test results on, Mike said they WERE ported, but only because the casting was off and there was quite an overhang where it mated to the turbo.

For me, as I am using a ported FP Green, there is a note in my file to go ahead and port if needed. Mike said they will call me when the manifolds come in and let me know if it's going to need it or not.

So it seems these manifolds have large enough runners to not need porting, but if there's a mis-alignment when mated to the turbine or the head, they will be able to match it.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

The customer shouldn't have to Pay to fix alignment issues with a casting... seriously that's a manufacturing problem not a end user problem. There should be no need for porting on a purpose built manifold that seems to defeat the Purpose don't you think?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 01:49 PM
Evolving Member

might as well wait for the second batch if some of the first ones are going to need cleaned up
Old Nov 4, 2013, 05:43 PM

Yea save your money, fp does a **** poor job at porting.. They should call it a "clean up job" for 95$ no thx!!.. Nice manifold tho!
Old Nov 4, 2013, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoloved
The customer shouldn't have to Pay to fix alignment issues with a casting... seriously that's a manufacturing problem not a end user problem. There should be no need for porting on a purpose built manifold that seems to defeat the Purpose don't you think?
Or they could just port all of them and raise the price 200 bucks and still be a cheaper better product. Or they could be like the BW EFR turbos and never offer the product at all because of casting irregularities. Quit complaining about the best new product specifically for our cars to come out in a while.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 01:59 AM
Evolving Member

OR Maybe they should sell them to foolish people who will buy anything just because it's a new product in the community. You can't justify selling a bad quality products for the sake of something new, then charge the customers to fix either poor design or poor manufacturing. If so then just add the 95 bucks to the price. you would still buy one because it's new. Then you'd come on here with more high praises saying they even ported for free. lol

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Nov 5, 2013, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Is it? Is that the REAL question?

Originally Posted by RSGuy
The real question is if this will work well with my ATP Twin-Scroll stock location GT3582R
Old Nov 6, 2013, 09:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ihockey1
might as well wait for the second batch if some of the first ones are going to need cleaned up
OR Maybe they should sell them to foolish people who will buy anything just because it's a new product in the community. You can't justify selling a bad quality products for the sake of something new, then charge the customers to fix either poor design or poor manufacturing. If so then just add the 95 bucks to the price. you would still buy one because it's new. Then you'd come on here with more high praises saying they even ported for free. lol

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Wow way to take someone's 3rd party words and misconstrue them.

If we believe there is a problem with the casting to the point where we believe they require porting to work properly then we will port them for free. This is not our first rodeo and we don't anticipate that they'll require porting for them to perform. However there's always a chance that we can extract a little bit more flow out by porting them and will offer it as a service. Casting is never an exact science and no matter the quality will almost always benefit from a little bit of finishing work.

If we get them and we don't think that porting will help then we won't port them and won't offer it. However if we believe there could be a gain by porting then we'll offer it.

The prototype that TPG had did have a core shift which allowed for a small over lap where it met the head and had to be ported to get rid of that issue. Those type of issues are why we do prototypes so we can fix issues before we decide to cast 500+ units.

-Michael
Old Nov 6, 2013, 09:34 AM
EvoM Community Team

That's for chiming in again and shutting up the haters.

Old Nov 6, 2013, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

That's for chiming in again and shutting up the haters.

Since he chimed in to my post, I'm going to chime into yours. Who was hating on Fp I was stating the obvious. He reassured that if it needed fixing it will be fixed for free. Exactly what I Said should be done Point blank period. FP seems to be a stand up company! No hating here Bubba...
Old Nov 6, 2013, 09:54 AM
EvoM Community Team

Quick Reply: FP Cast Race Manifold for the 4G63