Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

FP Cast Race Manifold for the 4G63

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2013, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
its not okay to complain about it like a spoiled little school girl. modifying cars is never straight forward. The stupid comments will do nothing but make FP think twice about making other cool products for these cars.
You are wrong, modding is very straightforward on 8/9s. I'm not really concerned if they produce another "cool" part because they screwed up releasing a part that isn't ready. I don't see anyone having to mod their ETS, Shearer, Full-Race, AMS, or Toxic manifold. What makes it ok for FP? You might be satisfied with it but most have standards as to what is acceptable. If the heatshield doesn't fit like one member stated, I wasted my money since it is the only reason I purchased the manifold.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo8426
You are wrong, modding is very straightforward on 8/9s. I'm not really concerned if they produce another "cool" part because they screwed up releasing a part that isn't ready. I don't see anyone having to mod their ETS, Shearer, Full-Race, AMS, or Toxic manifold. What makes it ok for FP? You might be satisfied with it but most have standards as to what is acceptable. If the heatshield doesn't fit like one member stated, I wasted my money since it is the only reason I purchased the manifold.
I agree with you a 100%
Old Dec 30, 2013, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 316 Likes on 248 Posts
I don't see anyone having to mod their ETS, Shearer, Full-Race, AMS, or Toxic manifold. What makes it ok for FP?
I have an EVO friend local that order a 3.5" SS cat back exhaust along with IC piping from one of the above mentioned companies and both required modification. This was also true of the midpipe from another forum company that had the O2 bung welded in the wrong location. In both cases I had to cut, reweld, and extend for proper fitment. For me it was not a big deal, but I can tell you it does happen when ordering aftermarket parts. I used to fab a lot and because of those small fitment issues I only worked on cars when they were in front of me.

I agree that designing clearance for the socket should have been done, but when there are options for purchasing special tools, using different nuts, or performing a small amount of grinding then it is not that big of a deal. Put it in perspective, you are only paying $400 for a high flowing exhaust with OEM look/quality so it is a good bargain even though you potentially have to do some mods. Considering that most of the stuff I make is a PITA to install this issue seems trivial. Just my opinion and I don't run FP parts.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Incorrect. You have to modify the transmission mount with the Full-Race manifold. I have no idea how easy any of the others are too work with as I don't have first hand experience and I doubt you do either.

Also the difference here is that technically this isn't an issue with the part. You simply need a special tool. Or just get a damn 6 point nut then a standard open end wrench will get the job done.

Sounds like I build my stuff like 240z, works great once it's on but you might spend all day on one bolt trying to get it on. Ha

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Dec 30, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Maybe I'm just lucky that I never had to modify anything I purchased from AMS, Buschur, ETS, and STM. I'm not trying to have a match between you but I don't have the tools to do any fab. If the heatshield doesn't line up I have no clue how that could be fixed and will simply just have to sell the manifold since my engine bay is modified to look factory.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Drill and step bit would be my first guess. But I have no idea what the issue is as another individual already managed to use the stock heat shield.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I have one of the first 20. the heat shield holes line up great on mine. the front runners dont have any grind marks on them. just test fitted a turbo and with 6 sided nuts are no special tools are needed. the hardest part about using this manifold is going to be removing the two studs from a used turbo if they have been in any length of time. and anyone who says modding cars is straight forward OBVIOUSLY has very little experience doing it. and shouldnt be doing it if you ask me.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 03:06 PM
Evolved Member

The only car I've modified is the Evo and it is extremely straight forward if you buy the right parts and do research. There is no hack work on my Evo.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I have one of the first 20. the heat shield holes line up great on mine. the front runners dont have any grind marks on them. just test fitted a turbo and with 6 sided nuts are no special tools are needed.
This being the case then I don't think it is a big deal. FP probably should not have sold their bolt kit with 12 point nuts though.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^yup, not sure why FP included 12-pt nuts in the bolt kit?
A lot of this grinding fuss could of been avoided if FP included or mentioned to use 6-pt hex nuts. Went to local auto store and bought some 10.9 grade hex nuts. No grinding needed for tool clearance now.

Old Dec 31, 2013, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Id like to hear FP's response since the product is now out and people have some legitimate concerns. Seems like they've been quiet since it was released.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i think they will fix these minor issues on the second batch and sell at regular price. we did get $100 discount on the first batch as test mule.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are you guys grinding it? https://www.google.com/search?q=flar...w=1093&bih=510

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of gains are expected from this?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by yugadnoh
Why are you guys grinding it? https://www.google.com/search?q=flar...w=1093&bih=510

Maybe I missed it, but what kind of gains are expected from this?

Average has been about 80whp. 70-90 range-ish.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ExViTermini
Average has been about 80whp. 70-90 range-ish.
I don't see more than 30-40 depending on your setup.

Quick Reply: FP Cast Race Manifold for the 4G63