Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fluids

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2004, 05:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by bpclements
I just changed my tranny fluid to GM Syncromesh. I will say that it makes a world of difference. Before I couldn't shift into reverse without putting the car into 4th then quickly putting it into reverse or it would not go. Now I can shift into reverse like normal now with no problems. Also, the overall shifting is extremely smooth, but still notchy. I know it'll take a few miles to break the fluid in then I am sure it will be smooth all the way. For 3 quarts it cost me $35 from the Chevy dealer. I tried it because I know that DSM guys have been using it with great sucess for years and they rate it up there with the BG Syncroshift. I plan on changing my transfer and rear diff oil to redline fluids soon also.
I've been using the GM Syncromesh since sometime under 3000 miles. You can get the stuff from many Mitsu $tealerships as it is a TSB fix for problems with the 1st and 2nd gen Eclipse trannies... My tranny has been butter smooth since the switch...
Old Mar 2, 2004, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey shahul,
I can get you redline for 7.50 a quart if you want, i have it in my car and it runs great so far, gear oil and transfer case oil
Old Mar 2, 2004, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

From many a DSM board...the GM syncromesh (p# 12345349) is the same as the Pennzoil Syncromesh found at your local Autozone's for $4.99...
Old Mar 2, 2004, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think the feel any better, but I don't know if you could really tell so much. Though I guess the rear diff does feel better than when I had the shockproof in there and it would chatter and pop in low speed tight turns.

It's Amsoil Series 2000, BTW. It's probably similar to Redline's 75W90 stuff.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 08:32 AM

to the guys who are worried about the diffs and what not not holding all the oil, don't worry it's because the specs in the book are probably when the parts are disassembled, when just draing you will never get ALL the oil out, so it's not gonna hold what it says in the book
Old Mar 2, 2004, 08:59 AM
Evolving Member

That is an interesting comment, because my transfer case didn't take that much to fill, but my rear diff took a little more than the manual stated. I'm just glad that you can't really over or under fill these things as long as the car is level.
Old Mar 13, 2004, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

wow, could have saved a couple bucks with the Penzoil, regardless its semms to do fine and helps a bit, still not enough , but on to the meal bushings I guess....bought from www.lancershop.com ..... still need to try the Amsoil 2000 for the diffs, everyone seems to be having transfer issues

-shahul
Old Mar 14, 2004, 09:32 AM

I did mine this weekend. I had many high performance cars in the past including a 10 sec. RX7. I've had nothing but good results with Redline products.
I just put in Redline Shockproof(light) in the transfer case and tranny of my Evo. I put Redline 75/90 NS in the rear diff with Redline friction modifier. Works like a dream. No chatter at all. Shifts like butter. The rear diff uses about 1qt. The transfer case and tranny use almost 4qts.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

around here they only sell Amsoil.... Advan8 (Pejman) where did you get the redline? the shockproof and the friction modifier...

ErnieT...how much of the friction modifier did you use in propotion to the shockproof 75/90

-shahul
Old Mar 14, 2004, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

I've heard about half a bottle of friction modifier works fine. I think that's 4 oz.

Call redline and ask them for your local dealers, then call the dealers and see if they stock what you're looking for. One of my local dealers is a VW shop, not an auto parts store, that I never would've checked to see if they sell Redline parts... and that's where I ended up getting my MT-90 for my trans.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by Shahul X
around here they only sell Amsoil.... Advan8 (Pejman) where did you get the redline? the shockproof and the friction modifier...

ErnieT...how much of the friction modifier did you use in propotion to the shockproof 75/90

-shahul
If you live in Md, there is a shop on Joppa Rd. in Parkville that sells redline products. The modifier comes in a 4oz. bottles. I used the entire bottle with the qt of 75/90NS.
Old Mar 16, 2004, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

hey thanks Ernie T ..... Parkville... wheres that?
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Shahul X
hey thanks Ernie T ..... Parkville... wheres that?
Al Smith's Automotive Products · Baltimore, MD · 800-582-3737

They are off I-695 and Bel Air Rd. in Baltimore County. Where are you at??
Old Mar 16, 2004, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

oh I just found a redline dealer aound the corner here in Rockville, thanks for the info

-shahul
Old Mar 16, 2004, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

is it called Redline Shockproof light? anything else it would be called?

okay so I can get redline although I was thinking Amsoil....

TRANSFER case- shockproof light? .58 Liters

Rear diff Redline 75 w/90 w half a bottle of friction modifyer....sound good ?

-Shahul

Quick Reply: Fluids