Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Motor blown? broken spark plug

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Motor blown? melted spark plug, UPDATED PICS & INFO

Hello, I am currently in the process of removing the head from my evo to see what the actual problem with my car is. the car began smoking while I was driving home and did a short pull, alot of smoke so I turned the car off and coasted into a parking lot, the car won't start. Attached is a picture of my spark plug on the left most cylinder when looking at the motor from the front of the car. With all 4 plugs removed when I look down into where the spark plug goes, the cylinder on the left side and the right side both have liquid when I look down the spark plug hole. I imagine that the motor is blown but I was wanting to see if anyone has had a similar issue. the spark plug on the left most cylinder is broken. Also a question that I have is should I purchase a short block from MAP or do you think it will be cheaper to have a local evo shop build my block with the same parts?

UPDATE: 4 October 2013

So I have pulled the head off of the car and Found a broken valve, so I took the head to the machine shop and they said it would be an easy fix but then when they took the valve out they saw that the port had been damaged by the metal which made a hole in the exhaust port. I just bought a bare head off of eBay and i'm going to use that since the my head is ruined. So now I have a few questions:

1. How does my bottom end look to you guys? I have 86,000 miles on stock bottom end and pics are attached

2. If my bottom end is good, should I re-use my stock head gasket or get a new one?

Attached Thumbnails Motor blown? broken spark plug-spark-plug.jpg   Motor blown? broken spark plug-exhaust-head2.jpg   Motor blown? broken spark plug-exhaust-head.jpg   Motor blown? broken spark plug-broken-head.jpg   Motor blown? broken spark plug-left-pistons.jpg  

Last edited by slowsrt4:(; Oct 4, 2013 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Embedded photos
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

and those bolts that hold the intake manifold to the bracket suck! needless to say those two 14mm bolts won't be going back in
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that dosnt look broken that looks like its melted from pre ignition
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

yeah I guess it is actually melted, I shouldn't have been doing a pull because my tune was off because when I tuned the car the turbo blew on the dyno and I hadn't been back to get a re-tune after I changed the turbo out. I know i'm an idiot...
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

haha hey everyone has to learn sometimes its just the hard way
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Turn the motor over by hand a few times to see if it's blown. It should turn over relatively smooth with the plugs out. It looks like fuel that wasn't igniting.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

I already have the exhaust manifold, fuel rail intercooler pipes and a few other things off, I'm waiting for a friend of mine to come over tonight and get these two bolts off and then I'll pull the intake manifold off and then the head tomorrow. I'll post pics when I can
Old Sep 29, 2013, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

finally got those two bolts, since it is dark the head will be coming off tomorrow after work
Old Sep 29, 2013, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slowsrt4:(
and those bolts that hold the intake manifold to the bracket suck! needless to say those two 14mm bolts won't be going back in
i found it easier to have the car jacked, take the right tire off, and reach in through the cross member from underneath, pretty easy with a ratchet and an extension

also i would definitely put those bolts back in, or get rid of the bracket all together. but if you leave the bolts off, then the bracket and IM can vibrate against each other in higher rpms resulting in possible false knock

Last edited by minimarine09; Sep 29, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

I got the intake manifold off last night, the throttle body seems to be stuck closed and some coolant came out of it when I took it off
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Looks like you ran lean.

I hope all you did was melt a plug and pop the HG.

Check the pistons close for damage.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

I had the same problem a while back I hate to say it but I think you melted a piston
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Will I be able to know if I melted the piston by just removing the head?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

there would usually be a hole somewhere on the top of the piston so in most cases yes
Old Sep 30, 2013, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Removing the head it should be pretty obvious at that point you will either a have metal shavings over stuff or b a piston will have a hole in it or look dis functional

Quick Reply: Motor blown? broken spark plug