Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lifter Tick? Stock BOV Flutter?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2013, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifter Tick? Stock BOV Flutter?

Alright so I just got my evo ix, I bought it without knowing the history or what was/is in it. What I can see is a Perrin Fuel Rail (with what appear to be stock injectors), and an intake. When its running there is a noticeable tick coming from the engine. It's not a constant tick with a rhythm its an on/off tick that doesn't get louder as you rev but it does get slightly more fast paced. When I let off the gas (at idle) it remains the higher speed ticking for a couple seconds before dying down after the RPMs have already fallen.
The car drives normal but does feel lacking on power.

My next issue, when I boost the spool sounds ridiculously loud and more like air being sucked in than whine(maybe im just used to my wrx being quiet) and when I let off my BOV flutters everytime. I'm pretty sure the stock BOV isn't supposed to flutter so I'm wondering if I have another problem. Previous owner did have multiple gauges in the car, most taken out, with only a defi boost gauge left. Its also not connected.

I've also found a Blitz Dual SBC and an older Defi Advance Control Unit, both of which I disconnected. This is my first time modding a turbo car so I'm trying to learn as much as possible but I'd like to have the car running strong first.

Any help is much appreciated!
Old Oct 3, 2013, 08:34 AM

Sounds like maybe the vacuum line to the stock diverter valve maybe unplugged. I would check that. As for the ticking, when does it come on and go off? does it tick through the whole RPM range? or only certain spots? does it tick faster and louder with more throttle?
Old Oct 3, 2013, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my stock injectors have always ticked so loud it sounds like an old vw beetle.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by idkmybffjjill
Sounds like maybe the vacuum line to the stock diverter valve maybe unplugged. I would check that. As for the ticking, when does it come on and go off? does it tick through the whole RPM range? or only certain spots? does it tick faster and louder with more throttle?
I'll check out the vacuum lines, as for the tick its always on, it ticks throughout the whole range seems to get a little quieter as you rev higher, but it might just be because there is more engine noise. It does get faster as I rev higher though. Also it remains ticking faster for a second after the revs have already dropped, then it slows down. You can't hear it from in the car, but if you're outside its noticeable.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:15 PM

sbc went bad

Last edited by iStubz; Oct 8, 2013 at 07:08 PM.