Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Strange oil leak! Help!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2013, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I truly think we are experiencing the same oil leak so Im keeping my fingers crossed that you will figure this out for your own sake as well as mine.

I had a feeling it wasnt your oil pan and I dont plan to pull mine off to reseal it for that same reason. Whats tricky about this area is that the timing as well as the accessory belts are flinging oil everywhere.

What does the back of your block look like? In my case there is a greasy mess all over the back of the block as well...
Old Nov 7, 2013, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im not too sure if we are having the same leak because my accessory belts arent flinging oil anywhere and the back of my block is dry. Im only getting oil on the inside of my lower timing case on the right side probably within a 2-4 inch square radius around the oil pump.

I really hope I do find out what is leaking though because its getting old.

Do you have crank case pressure issues? It might be the base of where your dipstick tube goes into the block at leaking or even the dipstick it self leaking at where u pull it out at. If you havent already, take a little piece of blue shop rag and wrap it around the dipstick where the two o rings are and kinda just shove it back down in the tube. For added security use a spring aswell. That's what I do and no more dipstick leak

I read some of your thread but are you sure youre valve cover gasket isnt leaking? Or the cam seals? Its not always a gusher just from an important seal leaking.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
No known crankcase pressure issues. Never had my dipstick pop out on me and its never needed a retaining spring or anything like that. There was a thought that the little o-ring where the dipstick tube meets the block was leaking so I replaced that and applied a little sealant for good measure but that wasnt my problem either.

Valve cover gasket has been replaced and doesnt appear to be the issue nor do the cam seals as youd think there would be an oil trail behind the upper timing cover but there was not.

I pulled off my accessory belt but did not take off the timing belt so Im thinking it could be one of those seals (rear main, oil pump, balance shaft etc.) That or my hg is leaking...
Old May 18, 2014, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

This guy is running with his oil pan missing a bolt and complaining about an oil leak ? Come on man. You shouldn't be building the car yourself.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:14 AM

You're really that ignorant you didn't even read the entire post obviously. The pan bolt hole is stripped and has nothing to do with any leak, if I'm mentioning a stripped pan bolt and an oil leak on the opposite side of the engine clearly that's not my leak if it was I wouldn't have spend time to make a post, use your head for god sakes. **** happens dude. I work at a machine shop and I've been building engines since I was a kid. You've clearly never built a motor because there's always bugs that have to be worked out or little leaks that have to be found. And do you not even see how old the post is? Thats really quite sad you just go on old posts and say stupid things to make yourself look smarter.. Lol.

Originally Posted by RSGuy
This guy is running with his oil pan missing a bolt and complaining about an oil leak ? Come on man. You shouldn't be building the car yourself.
Old Sep 8, 2021, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
bumping this thread for anyone searching this in the future

I had the same leak. I took the timing belt off and spun the oil pump gear with a drill. I thought it was the oil pump sprocket shaft seal and pulled the sprocket. turns out my castle nut was leaking/seeping at the portion that was covered by the oil pump sprocket.