Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

First big turbo install. Questions!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First big turbo install. Questions!

Ok guys. Quick rundown...

First off, I feel like the biggest noob asking these questions, so forgive me. This is the first time I have done a turbo swap that was not stock to stock. My Talon I swapped 5 of them in one year, and the evo I swapped an 8 to a 9. Now I have bought a 6266 after finally growing a small pair, but this thing has me completely stumped. I have been on this forum searching every damn day and I cannot find my answers so I must do this...

1.) The turbo came with the exit of the cold side facing the same direction as the hot side exit. That obviously needs to be spun correct? Do I unbolt the hot side and turn it, or the cold side?

2.) There is a little note attached to the oil feed location talking about if I remove the hex type bolt, it will cause damage and void the warranty. Correct me if I am wrong, but dont I need to remove that to install the oil feed line?

and lastly...

3.) The gold barb on the cold side, is that for a the boost controller?

Embarrassing, I know, but I am just completely stumped.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Where in VA are you?

Slightly loosen the bolts that hold the center section to both the turbine and compressor housings, enough for all 3 pieces to rotate independently. Bolt it up to the manifold loosely and then rotate the center section to where the oil inlet and outlets are as vertical as you can get them, or at least within a 15 degree window of vertical. Snug up one of the bolts that holds the center section to the turbine housing. Then rotate your compressor housing to where you need it for the LICP to work properly, and snug a compressor housing to center section bolt. Remove turbo and tighten all the fasteners, that I recall 12 in total.

The gold barb from the turbo compressor housing will be your boost source for the boost control system.

The oil feed thing you ask of I am unsure without seeing a picture of it, but I suspect it's a restrictor of some sort and the oil feed line fitting will attach to it, or possibly the line itself.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
just an fyi, the method of rotating the CHRA (center housing rotating assembly) of a turbo is called "clocking" .... try youtube or google, and you should see some more results.

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/bl...ock-turbo.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_5671758_clock-garret-turbo.html

ps. +1 on providing a pic of the oil feed question.