Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

white smoke from back of turbo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
white smoke from back of turbo

Hey guys,
I recently noticed some white smoke coming from the back of my turbo, i checked the oil return line but didn't see any traces of oil there.the smoke would come through from my vent on the hood and only happens when i boost the car nothing crazy like 24 psi on and off on the highway.it doesn't really smoke up on start up and when under boost so i am kinda confuse .I just rebuilt my motor so its getting to me after all the work with the motor build, would appreciate your feedback and suggestions thanks.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 09:23 PM
Evolving Member

anyone has any idea or experienced this its the Evo9 turbo.when i boost the car it would smell like burnt oil and looks like it coming from under the turbo.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

ok so even though i didn't get a response from anyone here i did my home work.I jacked my car up and looked under for any oil leaks and saw the oil return line to the oil pan has oil residue ard there so i think the gasket needs to be replaced or there may be no washers there as well which can cause the leak.So i ordered both the gasket and washers hopefully that fixes my problem.Seems as it leaks from the return line it would drop on the dp and burn off causing the smoke.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just aim your flashlight to the bottom of your turbo where oil return line is bolted to it.start the car and look in few seconds you should see oil seeping out from between flange and center part of the turbo.if that's the case you need new gasket.gl
Old Dec 4, 2013, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by egis
Just aim your flashlight to the bottom of your turbo where oil return line is bolted to it.start the car and look in few seconds you should see oil seeping out from between flange and center part of the turbo.if that's the case you need new gasket.gl
ACTUALLY that area is pretty dry it looks like its leaking from where the oil pan connects to the oil return line that gasket i am changing along with the washers lets see if that fix the prob.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Oh ok I hope that's the problem and easy fix.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 06:11 AM
Evolving Member

quick update changed the gasket from the oil return line to the oil pan, car still smokes from the hood under highway drives, i am about to loose the return line from the turbo and check that gasket there this is such a pain cuz that smell is so dam stink like burn oil i hate it .
Old Dec 17, 2013, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boost556
quick update changed the gasket from the oil return line to the oil pan, car still smokes from the hood under highway drives, i am about to loose the return line from the turbo and check that gasket there this is such a pain cuz that smell is so dam stink like burn oil i hate it .
Shiet,I thought you fixed it.oil dripping on the ground while car is running?it must be either oil supply or return line.on oil return is really hard to spot leakage if its seeping slowly.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 02:38 AM

Thanks for the help having same problem
Old Dec 18, 2013, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Shiet,I thought you fixed it.oil dripping on the ground while car is running?it must be either oil supply or return line.on oil return is really hard to spot leakage if its seeping slowly.
nah no oil leaks on the ground well i will literally have to loose the oil return line and check but with the eyes its looks dry.