Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

what kind of coolant?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2004, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of coolant?

Hey guys...i just wanna make sure what kind of antifreeze coolant should i use to fill up my evo???any specific type?
Old Feb 29, 2004, 05:42 PM

anyone?????
Old Feb 29, 2004, 10:54 PM

What does your owners manual say?

f!
Old Feb 29, 2004, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

wat do u think about adding redline water weter to the radiator?
Old Mar 1, 2004, 12:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
one of the first things I did to my evo was add the water wetter, put it in all of my cars.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

go to the dealer and pick some up lol. i was just there and i found out that they charge 21.25 for a bottle! and than they told me you can use anything.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

i'll get some waterweter for my radiator once the summer rolls around... ill pick up a bottle at pep boys
Old Mar 1, 2004, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by EvolvedfromaWRX
go to the dealer and pick some up lol. i was just there and i found out that they charge 21.25 for a bottle! and than they told me you can use anything.
Lordie.. Find yourself a different dealer, then.

With the preponderance of manufacturers moving toward a "long life" antifreeze, the combinations are numerous and possibly disasterous.

G11 is completely incompatible with G12. Dexcool is incompatible with "standard" antifreeze. Toyota uses it's own antifreeze. GM diesels use a nitrated version of Dexcool that is (you guessed it) not recommended for use with other types.

No doubt Mitsubishi has their own 'blend' of coolant, but how many of those bottles do you really need? And how much are you willing to pay to get a broken cooling system replaced if the two coolants are incompatible?

ferb!
Old Mar 1, 2004, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

I have seen a "global" antifreeze on the shelf. Don't know who makes it, but they claim it's compatable with all cars and will not harm your system.

Also, if your dealer's service dept is cool, they will top off your reservoir for free. Just ask. Hell, you paid over 30k for the car. What's the big deal.

Last edited by SinCityEvo; Mar 1, 2004 at 07:57 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

The owners manual says "long-life antifreeze coolant or an equivalent". I am in need of some today, it is after 6, and there isn't a dealer close to me. Anyone have any ideas as to what to use?!?
Old Apr 23, 2004, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

As long as it does not contain any Alcohol you should be fine.

- re the water wetter ... remember it breaks down leading to an appearance similar to oil in your coolant...

This has scared the **** out of a lot of people......
Old Apr 24, 2004, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by snapb1
The owners manual says "long-life antifreeze coolant or an equivalent". I am in need of some today, it is after 6, and there isn't a dealer close to me. Anyone have any ideas as to what to use?!?
Are you low on coolant? Or doing a flush/fill?

If you're just low, i would pop in just pure distilled water. As long as it's not a huge amount, you shouldn't dip below a 40/60 ratio. I pick this because it still has enough anti-foam and anti-corrosion additives, plus it provides a high enough boiling point for springtime operation.

I know it's repeated a lot, but water has a higher heat capacity than glycol. I have a few charts showing this relationship if anyone is interested in the engineering...

ferb!
Old Apr 24, 2004, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jemm
- re the water wetter ... remember it breaks down leading to an appearance similar to oil in your coolant...

This has scared the **** out of a lot of people......
My friend and I use to run redline water wetter all the time, but stopped after we realized it was leaving this nasty deposits behind after it broke down. lol, the oil like substance in the coolant also scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it.
Old Apr 25, 2004, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

The overflow tank is low at times. Low as in below the line towards the bottom of the tank. Should I just add distilled water or should I get the 50/50 coolant?
Old Apr 25, 2004, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

I got the royal purple ice to help. just make sure you dont mix the red orange color with the green it will make jello. the gm brand is the redish orange color you dont want.

Quick Reply: what kind of coolant?