Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Walbro fuel pumps. Failed right out of the box.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use a Walbro 255 works fine, lots of my boys use the same on all their DSM's no problems.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Eric...forgive me for my Nubish question, but what are the signs that the fuel pump is failing. I would hate to find out the hard way when the engine blows. Also, everyone says the pump is noisy, however, I never heard my pump!
Old Mar 1, 2004, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by EvoJimbo
Eric...forgive me for my Nubish question, but what are the signs that the fuel pump is failing. I would hate to find out the hard way when the engine blows. Also, everyone says the pump is noisy, however, I never heard my pump!
Well when the pump is less nosiy. Or have a fuel pressure gauge in the car to keep a eye on it. If it's working I really don't think it's going to fail soon.

Eric
Old Mar 1, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

I'm being tuned next month and the tuner is recommending upgrading the pump. It's no big deal, but I wonder if a fuel pressure guage should be put in first to see if there is a need for the pump right now with my basic bolt on mods. I have read that the OEM pump is good till about 350 whp. I'm nowhere near there and don't plan to be in the near term.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

My 255 isn't noisy at all and works great. They say they are not very loud in the Evo's as they are in other Dsm's-
Old Mar 2, 2004, 03:09 PM
Former Sponsor

The stock fuel pump is only good until about 340 - 350whp. I think turbo mag made a mistake if they printed that.

Mark
Turbotrix

P.S. rory was inside his gas tank helping me so i def couldnt of done it wrong.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

I got the PE pump also and I'm glad I did. At first I was kicking myself for paying that much for a fuel pump but I knew it was going to be better quality than the walbro. Eric, why do you suggest re-using the stock filter? The PE comes with a whole new filter assembly attached.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 04:37 PM
CJK
Evolving Member

What's the difference in price of walbro vs. PE? just wondering...seems like most people on this board are using the Walbro...the PE talked about in this post is the first time I have seen it
Old Mar 2, 2004, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

The Walbro255 is my next upgrade in my Evo, it is inexpensive, and it was recomended when running higher boost here in Southern Cali +90F in the summer.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

just like all mechanical things some times **** fails....... it part of Physics.......... Walbro is a very good pump.. i have run it on two different turbo'd cars and one being a dsm.... **** can happen to every company unless ever one is QA and guarenteed to not fail which is impossible.... i would just stay with walbro................
Old Mar 2, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

My car is slightly modified and I was all but ready to pick up the Walboro 255 until I saw this thread. Modified at power levels under 300whp with mild boost increases how much of a risk is there running the stock pump? Running a car on a dyno unventilated for multiple pulls where the car will begin to richen up might be the cause for any failures but how applicable is this as far as real world goes. Ive heard different things from a number of individuals whos opinions I respect which makes things tougher. I might just take it to war this summer on the stock pump prob putting down no more then 250whp at slightly elevated boost levels and hope if it does fail it fails on Mitsus watch, because if a stock pump causes the engine to go you should be covered, but If theres any evidence of tampering through the use of an aftermarket pump, there may be probs. Still undecided but the weathers starting to warm... maybe a fuel pressure gauge that I should have anyway will tide me over.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

**** another problem. Looks like the Walbro blow the relay. Now no pump will prime.

Yes reuse the stock filter or Tea bag. Alot of the WRXers were having problems with the stocks that came with the walbro kit. So just incase you do not want fuel starvation.

Eric
Old Mar 3, 2004, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Can anyone hear their stock fuel pump start when they turn the ignition key to the on position.......I can not hear mine at all. Though in my RSX you could hear in whine.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by scottatayamaha
Can anyone hear their stock fuel pump start when they turn the ignition key to the on position.......I can not hear mine at all. Though in my RSX you could hear in whine.
Not really the EVO has this nice plastic casing on it.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 08:52 AM

A common upgrade on DSM's is rewiring the fuel pump. The stock wiring drops a lot of voltage. You can even here a loud pump like the walbro tone change up and down with the turn signal. I don't know if there is a similar problem with the EVO's, but it could be why you blew the relay. The pump was trying to draw too much current. You'd think you'd blow a fuse before the relay though...

See DSM wiring upgrade here...
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/pump-relay.html

Quick Reply: Walbro fuel pumps. Failed right out of the box.