Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 cutting in and out while cruising on highway

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2013, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo 8 cutting in and out while cruising on highway

I noticed on my way home the other night when I was cruising on the freeway going about 65 mph in 5th gear that all the sudden my car lost power for a second and then it came back. It just continued getting worse and randomly would cut in and out of power the whole drive. I went home and reset the ecu and drove it today and it's still doing the same thing. I almost had to pull over on the side of the road it got so jerky.. I had to put it in 4th gear and go 60mpg at 4k rpm just to continue going. When I'm driving around town and boosting/cruising everything feels completely fine. I'm pretty sure it has to be a fuel issue because resetting the ecu did nothing. I installed a new walbro 255 fuel pump about 6 months back and I installed new spark plugs about 5k miles ago gaped pretty tightly. I have a DIY coil on plug setup that I got from a used 2001 honda civic that had about 106k miles on it. I installed the cops about a year ago and all has been great this whole time. Should I try replacing spark plugs first then try buying all new cops? Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CEL light on?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Do you still have your OEM coils? If so, give them a shot to rule out the COP.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WW-GSR
CEL light on?
No, I wish it did come on so I could find out whats going on.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
Do you still have your OEM coils? If so, give them a shot to rule out the COP.
unfortunately I don't have them anymore, thanks for the idea though.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 03:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Log it and post up or send it to me. Is it getting rich or lean when there's a power loss? What RPM, etc.?

A customer of mine had a similar problem and it was a dying Walbro. It didn't fail right away, but slowly got worse and worse.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PureDrivePerformance
Log it and post up or send it to me. Is it getting rich or lean when there's a power loss? What RPM, etc.?

A customer of mine had a similar problem and it was a dying Walbro. It didn't fail right away, but slowly got worse and worse.
Ill log it on my way home tonight. What things do I need to log?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by beasters
Ill log it on my way home tonight. What things do I need to log?
Log tps, rpm, load, timing, afr, boost, o2 sensor. That should do it.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PureDrivePerformance

Similar problem as well, ended up being the fuel pump. Also,same thing happened in a sand rail I was driving
Old Apr 27, 2014, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

still haven't figured this out. I bought 4 new denso coil on plugs and it went away for a while but it just did it to me again merging onto the freeway right as i shifted into 5th gear lightly on the throttle. I even had to pull on the side of the freeway because I had no power and it kept missing when i would give it gas. I let it idle for a minute and then I took it very easy getting back up to speed shifting below 3k rms very light throttle. It never happens when I'm wot or anything else only when cruising on the freeway lightly on the throttle. This wouldn't be so hard to figure out but my car NEVER gives a ses light when it happens.. Does anyone think it could be a bad wiring connection with my cops? I did the wiring myself.. any ideas at all would be appreciated I'm ready to pull my hair out.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
recheck the cops man.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

Coils, plugs, injector clips I've seen all go bad. The hotter the car is the harder the ignition setup is pushed
Old Apr 27, 2014, 07:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Exact same thing is happening to me! If you have a wideband check and see if its going lean or rich my issue which is the same as yours the car goes very lean. Ive replaced everything injectors, coil packs, wires, fpr, fuel pump, plugs even converted the car to a factory 04 map and still having the same issue. I also do not have a CEL any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Try swapping the injector resistor box with a known good one. They're fairly inexpensive.
Old May 10, 2014, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

I think we have found the problem. My tuner Tom with tscomptuned was nice enough to help me try to diagnose my problem and we went over a number of things. I told him I had replaced the fuel pump and he asked if I replaced the fuel filter when I installed the pump and I realized I didn't because the walbro 255 pump I bought off amazon didn't come with one.. I ordered a new fuel pump filter (sock) on ebay and installed it a few days ago. So far I have not had any cutting out or misfires on the freeway since and I have put my car in every situation that it normally would happen in. If the problem comes back I will post on here but so far nothing!!
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Rice (Dec 30, 2019)