Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Motor Oil for EVOs

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2002, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Best Motor Oil for EVOs

Hi guys, just want your opinion on what is the best motor / engine oil for an Evo?

A friend told me that 20w50 is the best rating. What you guys think?
Old Aug 4, 2002, 01:42 PM

There really is no 'best' in general. It depends on the temperature range of the place your car will be driving. Generally, if the temperature goes below freezing you want a thinner oil (like 5w or 10w) so that the oil can get to engine parts faster and flow better in the cold. (Not sure how often that happens in the Philippines )

Also, (and I'm sure some would disagree) I believe fully synthetic oils are better for turbocharged engines, which run at a higher temperature, especially through the turbo. Synthetic oil is more slippery and (usually) breaks down at a higher temp than dino.

I'm sure there are websites that can tell you all this better than I though, a quick search on google turned up this page, which, after reading should allow you to make a better decision: http://www.vtr.org/maintain/oil-overview.html
Old Aug 4, 2002, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks man!
Old Aug 4, 2002, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

I agree with what has been said. It is always a good idea to use ester based synthetic oils such as Motul or Red line. They are more resistent overall, especially at high temperatures...plus make engines feel smoother
Old Aug 5, 2002, 04:06 PM

Another top oil to look at is Royal Purple. Like Red Line they are very expensive but its more of an investment for your car. as for the SAE, i would stick with a 10w, dont go with a 20w cause that is a little too thick and will take longer for the oil to reach the head.
Old Aug 8, 2002, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Talking And the winner is

After thoughour analyzation I have determined that Valvoline 10W30 turbo oil is the best for the EVO 8.

My 2¢
Old Aug 14, 2002, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like others have mentioned it would depend on the climate in which you drive, and I'm sure the phillipines never drops below 60 F. With that being said, I don't think there's a problem with running 20W-50W. And although synthetics are better for their higher tolerance form thermal breakdown, if you change your oil every 2000-3000 mi. religiously, than I really don't think the added cost of synthetics over conventional oils is worth it over the long term.

Unless:

1) You do alot of TRIPLE digit (mph) driving.

2) You use your vehicle for racing.
Old Aug 14, 2002, 04:37 PM

http://www.lancerevoclub.com/evoclub-liquidi-e.htm

Byez
Old Aug 20, 2002, 11:59 PM

Interesting views! If I go for synthetic oil do I have to clean out the old oil or can I just do a straight change?
Old Aug 21, 2002, 12:13 AM
Evolved Member

Whenever you're going to change your oil, drain out the old sludge and put in the new stuff. Probably easier since you won't have to do any guess work in how much synth you can add to the mix that's in engine already.
Old Sep 3, 2002, 03:45 PM

This may shock most of you guys out there, but I use Wal-Mart 10W-40 in my 400HP DSM. I change my oil before the 3000 mile mark every time. Why would I waste money on sythetic oils when I change it so often. I have never had a problem with the Wal-Mart brand, nor will I because I maintain my vehicle.

Behind every quart of oil is the API service rating for the oil. This rating shows the quality of the oil. The first leter is always an "S". The second letter shows how high the quality is. The higher the letter in the alphabet, the better rating it has from the SAE.

For instance a SI is lower quality oil than a SJ. The Wal-Mart brand has the highest quality rating out there along with the other brand name motor oils.

I spend $.71 per quart and $2.50 for a filter. What all you guys spend for one quart of synthetic, I am doing the whole oil change for.

Think about it.
Jeff
Old Sep 3, 2002, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Castrol Syntec.

What I use in my 270hp DSM and my ten year old Pontiac is Castrol Syntec and only Castrol Syntec. Yes it costs more and yes I change it every 3000 miles anyway, but I believe it helps. The reasoning is simple, in a turbo car, particularly a DSM, you want the best and slipperiest you can get. The oil is less likely to sludge up in the turbo and it protects the thrust bearing better and less likely to sludge up the oil squirters to avoid crankwalk. For my trusty old Pontiac, when poeple are in it they can't believe how quiet it idles and the fact that I've never had any engine maintenance issues in a 10 year old 130K+ American car. My Evolution will be using Castrol Syntec 5w30 just like the other two.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

I have heard good things about shell Rotella T. I liked the old Mobil1, and I love Royal Purple, and Redline. Amsoil is a pyramid marketing scam, kinda like Amway! Don't fall for the Amsoil B.S.

The next oil that I am going to try is Shell Rotella T synthetic 10w-40w

Andy
Old Sep 28, 2002, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Hey guys, thanks a lot...

I actually just had my oil changed, I used the REDLINE 20w50 Synthetic Oil. Though it's not that of a big difference, at least there's an improvement.

By the way, the temperature here in the Philippines ranges from 25C to 36C and there's too much humidity.

Quick Reply: Best Motor Oil for EVOs