Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Normal oil pressure at idle but low oil pressure when cruising?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Normal oil pressure at idle but low oil pressure when cruising?

Hey guys, I'm using castrol edge synthetic 10w30 on the stock engine. When it's at operating temperature at idle which is 1,000rpm I'm seeing 10-12psi, that's normal and it has always idled at the oil pressure.

Now my problem lies when I'm cruising. When I'm at about 3k rpm I'm seeing ~30psi and at about 2.5k I'll see around 18-22psi.

I know that's pretty low but I can't really figure out a cause of it. Does anyone have any ideas? Oil level is fine by the way. Thanks.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by hiboost2.0
Hey guys, I'm using castrol edge synthetic 10w30 on the stock engine. When it's at operating temperature at idle which is 1,000rpm I'm seeing 10-12psi, that's normal and it has always idled at the oil pressure.

Now my problem lies when I'm cruising. When I'm at about 3k rpm I'm seeing ~30psi and at about 2.5k I'll see around 18-22psi.

I know that's pretty low but I can't really figure out a cause of it. Does anyone have any ideas? Oil level is fine by the way. Thanks.
my 2.4 runs about 50-55 psi at 3k. Several things could cause that I would check the oil pressure sensor first to make sure its correct.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
my 2.4 runs about 50-55 psi at 3k. Several things could cause that I would check the oil pressure sensor first to make sure its correct.
Good idea, I just changed the oil and I found nothing out of the ordinary in the old oil. I'm thinking about doing a leak down on it just because. Thanks for your input.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Upon a cold start the oil pressure is at about 65psi when idling at 2,000 rpm.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upon a cold start the oil pressure is at about 65psi when idling at 2,000 rpm.
it's normal for your oil pressure to be higher at startup as opposed to full temp due to the changing of viscosity as your engine (and the oil) warms up.

I think the service manual shows something about oil pressures but I would venture to say you are fine. Stock Evos just have lower pressures I've noticed.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 07:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What oil filter?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Supergoslow
it's normal for your oil pressure to be higher at startup as opposed to full temp due to the changing of viscosity as your engine (and the oil) warms up.

I think the service manual shows something about oil pressures but I would venture to say you are fine. Stock Evos just have lower pressures I've noticed.
I see what youre saying, but it dropping to 20~psi while cruising does not seem to good in my opinion.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SiriusEvo
What oil filter?
Bosch. I don't think it's the filter because I never had this issue before with it. I'll cut it open and see if there's anything fun hiding in there.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Just an update, I found slight metal shavings in the oil, but no copper. Ill post a picture when I get on my computer. Opened the oil filter and found nothing out of the ordinary in it. Im going to pull the pan later today to investigate more.

I tested the pressure sender and its in good shape.

Last edited by hiboost2.0; Dec 28, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe oil pressure should raise 10psi for every 1000rpm. I don't think 20psi at cruising is normal. Mine is about 60-80psi cruising and 100psi at cold startup on 10w30
Old Dec 28, 2013, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

I see what youre saying, but it dropping to 20~psi while cruising does not seem to good in my opinion.
oh I thought you said 30 at cruising but I see I read that wrong. let me know what you find out. if all else fails maybe your pump is just ready to be changed.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

If you have a problem, you would see it across the board at all RPM not just at speed. You also cant see some metal shavings when you change the oil, but see none in the filter..
You dont have a problem, so dont drop the pan---thats a seal that will leak and be a problem for a long time-- You can see fluxuation in oil pressure because of oil weight used, lighter oil weight-- less pressure, hotter oils less pressure. If you had a rod knock you would hear it and oil pressure would drop at least 10psi across the board at all rpm and Idle would show drastically low. You looking for something that doesnt exist, give it a rest and relax...your motor is fine.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by meckert
If you have a problem, you would see it across the board at all RPM not just at speed. You also cant see some metal shavings when you change the oil, but see none in the filter..
You dont have a problem, so dont drop the pan---thats a seal that will leak and be a problem for a long time-- You can see fluxuation in oil pressure because of oil weight used, lighter oil weight-- less pressure, hotter oils less pressure. If you had a rod knock you would hear it and oil pressure would drop at least 10psi across the board at all rpm and Idle would show drastically low. You looking for something that doesnt exist, give it a rest and relax...your motor is fine.
Thats where I was confused, the filter was completely drained when I checked it so that may have been why I didnt see anything in it. What gets me is how the idle is fine but not while cruising. Im still going to drop the pan just to check the bearings and pickup tube. Im using the same weight oil I always have. When the car was ice cold I would here a knock at idle but once it warmed up it would be fine and I wouldnt hear anything while driving.

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
I believe oil pressure should raise 10psi for every 1000rpm. I don't think 20psi at cruising is normal. Mine is about 60-80psi cruising and 100psi at cold startup on 10w30
I was under the same impression. I used to see around 45psi while I was cruising.
Old Dec 29, 2013, 07:50 AM

If you didn't see anything in you oil filter when you ripped it open your probably fine. although dropping the oil pan isn't hard and neither is installing it back without a leak...do it for your own reassurance...that's priceless imo
Old Dec 29, 2013, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

I tend to think you have something going on. You monitor your oil pressures and no you are seeing something different than you usually see, plus you found some metal in your oil. The fact that things have changed would indicate an issue.
I would drop the pan.

Quick Reply: Normal oil pressure at idle but low oil pressure when cruising?