Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

cold start problem after alternator replacement

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2014, 08:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cold start problem after alternator replacement

i need to pick you guys brain a little bit to see if im on the right path. my car is 05 evo 8 on e85. been on e85 for over a year now fully tuned. never had any problems ever. now that i go to replace my alternator and valve cover for a crack around the spark plug hole. everytime i try to start it it will rev up to about 2k rpms and then immediatly die. it will do this until it starts showing that its warming up on the temp gauge. now if i hold my foot on the gas i can keep it alive but with no throttle it will just die. when it does get warm it will idle around 1100-1200 and bounce up and down between there and about 600rpm coming to a stop. once i am stopped it will settle around 1000 but starts dipping and idling pretty rough. i did put new spark plugs in it about 2 days before i changed the alternator and it was running perfect. did a smoke test for vacuum leak, no leaks. sprayed carb cleaner around and got nothing. have only a check engine light on for p300 random misfire. ive heard its the IACV or possibly the EGR solenoid. im so confused any help appreciated.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
You may have a vacuum hose disconnected - maybe one under the throttle body. I can imagine this happening considering all you have to do in getting the alternator off.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
You may have a vacuum hose disconnected - maybe one under the throttle body. I can imagine this happening considering all you have to do in getting the alternator off.
did a smoke test for vacuum leak, no leaks

check that already man, ima double check again but i check that haha. on another note i didnt have to remove the intake mani to get alternator out. only the injectors and fuel solenoid
Old Jan 2, 2014, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most people I have seen just bypass the fuel solenoid. You can just run a vaccum line straight from the intake to the fpr. The only difference I have noticed since doing so is if it is cold outside you have to let it warm up for a couple minutes before driving. But literally 2-3 minutes, no biggie.

Last edited by jrainwater; Jan 2, 2014 at 11:13 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 01:41 PM

problem was actually when i changed the valve cover, the new one i put on didnt have a pcv valve. somehow that was the problem. and my fuel solenoid is already bypassed haha