Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

exhaust crossover problem?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2014, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust crossover problem?

Ok so I just got my FP green for my Evo IX back from forced performance from a rebuild. I finally got everything back on my car and got it running again. Only problem is I stupidly put a gasket on the O2 housing that didnt seperate the Dump and downpipe so its exhaust is crossing over and coming out the dump at idle. I did not drive the car at all yet since the install only let it run at idle for about 40 min. My wideband read just like it did at idle before the turbo rebuild.

My question is this a big issue that means my car needs to stay put until I get the right gasket on it or can I drive the car and not worry about it and replace the gasket with the right one once it comes in? I did order the right gasket just needs to be delivered.

I do not know who makes the dump either. It was on the evo when I bought it.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 08:44 AM

My car was like that when I got it and never had any issues. I read several threads saying it's ok and that it's bad. Almost 50/50 but no definite answer.

I eventually bought the divorced gasket and kept a close eye on my datalogs (my car is logged all the time when I drive) and noticed no difference at all in fuel trims or idle afr. It did quiet it down at idle though.

Fwiw my experience.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't see how that could be an issue... It's basically like you have a dual exhaust on... That shouldn't be so bad should it?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:43 AM

Ok thanks for the replies. I don't think it will be an issue either. Similar to running an open downpipe anyway (not that I do personally). I just wanted to make sure so I don't mess anything up.

I did order that correct gasket for my o2 housing but I just want to drive the car while I wait for it to get delivered.

I didn't see a different in my wideband on my car at idle. I will keep an eye on it while I drive.

Thanks again!!!
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I do have undivided as well.I was even tuned like that.was drag racing like that.don't see any performance loss.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by egis
I do have undivided as well.I was even tuned like that.was drag racing like that.don't see any performance loss.
Thanks. I like I hear that I won't have a performance loss. I would hate to have my Evo sitting in my driveway any longer
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

How loud is it with the exhaust coming out from the dump tube at idle?
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:16 AM

Sort of sounds like you have an exhaust leak, just some extra noise in the front of the car. I actually kind of liked it....

The theory some had was it could possibly allow some outside air in that could mess with fuel trims at idle but I didn't see any changes at all.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by timv
Sort of sounds like you have an exhaust leak, just some extra noise in the front of the car. I actually kind of liked it....

The theory some had was it could possibly allow some outside air in that could mess with fuel trims at idle but I didn't see any changes at all.
I don't assume that's possible with the pressure going out of the dump tube would possibly "push" the incoming air out... That could change with WOT lol I don't know. Let us know how your AFRs are at WOT compared to your previous AFRs
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Faisalm
I don't assume that's possible with the pressure going out of the dump tube would possibly "push" the incoming air out... That could change with WOT lol I don't know. Let us know how your AFRs are at WOT compared to your previous AFRs
I will post once I get a few pulls in. Probly won't be until after the weekend since it's going to rain all weekend around Philly. I'll post if anything seems out of the ordinary with my tune. I'll keep a close eye on the AFR. At idle it was right were it was before.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 11:47 AM

Yeah, it seemed like a stretch but technically with the air pushing through the main section it potentially could create a vacuum at a small opening and pull air in but like I said with my car I saw absolutely no difference.

I was mainly trying it to see if my stft's would be a bit smoother because they jump all around but I think that's just how they work.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 04:05 PM

So far I put about 20 miles on the car since re-installing the turbo and everything.

Everything is on point. Car is running like a champ. AFR looks great. It's actually idling better than it see did before. I'm sure that has to do with all the new gaskets and everything being tight now. Before I installed my o2 housing gasket there wasn't one there. It was metal to metal.

I'll post more after I open her up and get in to more boost. I only gave the Evo about 5psi tonight. Slowly easing back in to it