Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Noisy transfer-case after fluid change

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noisy transfer-case after fluid change

Is it ever normal/ok for the transfer case to whine/make noise? I changed the tcase fluid and I might have, if anything, put in too much diaqueen. Would having too much fluid in it cause it to make more noise? It is strange that it got so loud after the fluid change. I'd appreciate any insight into this issue. Thanks boys

Fred
Old Jan 14, 2014, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by RSGuy
Is it ever normal/ok for the transfer case to whine/make noise? I changed the tcase fluid and I might have, if anything, put in too much diaqueen. Would having too much fluid in it cause it to make more noise? It is strange that it got so loud after the fluid change. I'd appreciate any insight into this issue. Thanks boys

Fred
Depending on how you filled your t-case, I don't think you over filled it. Might be just the opposite. How did you fill the t-case? Also what fluid was in it before?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You did use Diaqueen LSD gear oil correct? It definitely shouldn't make noise after a fluid change. I would pull the fill plug and check the fluid level.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most people underfill the TC because they don't take the time to let the fluid settle before pumping more in and it gives a false reading of full
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:30 PM

It roughly take bout a quart of fluid to fill it up properly.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Originally Posted by doubleSUSTANON
It roughly take bout a quart of fluid to fill it up properly.
negative. it takes .6.

I usually shove .6 in it. get the plug in. then "drive" the car while it's still on the lift to get the fluid to flow through the whole t-case. Then I'll shove another .25 in it and plug it up while fluid is still coming out of the fill hole. And it usually burps some fluid out of the breather. Makes a smidge of a mess, but I know it's full...

Jack's say to shove a quart in it, then drive around for a few minutes, then pull the fill plug to drain any excess fluid. This ensures that it is full.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My guess is that you under filled which is a pretty common thing.

http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pages/t-case-filling
Old Jan 15, 2014, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just take your time while filling. pump fluid into the case until it comes out, then go do something for a few minutes and come back and just repeat this process until you can truely no longer get fluid in there without it coming back out the fill hole and then you know it's 100% full.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
just take your time while filling. pump fluid into the case until it comes out, then go do something for a few minutes and come back and just repeat this process until you can truely no longer get fluid in there without it coming back out the fill hole and then you know it's 100% full.
What he said.... sometimes you fill it... "oh its coming out must be full"
Close up shop and drive around... but really, often times if you wait and then check you can put another .1-.2 qrts in lol....

I also keep in mind how much fluid I put in from the bottle, I fill a 1 qrt bottle up with fluid and pump it in.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 07:05 AM
Evolving Member

I just replaced the fluid on my X yesterday. The amount I drained was only about 16 oz which was about half as much as is supposed to be in there.

The method I used to fill it up was put a funnel down from the engine bay into the fill plug. I bought a funnel that has an on/off flow knob and oz, ml and quart markings.

Based on what the manual says I filled it up to about 900ml (almost used the whole bottle). Crawled under the car and made sure the hose was going into the t-case and had my neighbor open the valve on the funnel and watched as it slowly went in.

When we got to about 4 oz left it started to trickle out of the fill hole. My neighbor had to go so I took over. I jacked the back of the car up so I could try and force more fluid in, this seemed to help as I was able to get almost all the remaining 4 oz in. Maybe a few drips came out into a bucket (it was such a small amount it just lightly coated the bottom of my paint bucket). I didn't it be an amount that should cause any problems.

So I drove it for the first time this morning and at first I noticed a slight whine and I started panicking. I drove it around a block or so to take my kids to school. Pretty soon the noise stopped.

I (hope) wonder if it perhaps take a little time for the fluid to work it's magic inside and coat the gears?

Why does such a small amount drain out? Both sides of my diff and t-case all drained out a lot less than what is supposed to be in there. Is it because a lot gets caught up in gears and stuff and doesn't make its way out?

Last edited by koolzero; Nov 9, 2015 at 07:10 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 07:57 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Make sure you read the correct value. Mitsu published two fill capacities - one is the refill capacity, and the other is the dry capacity.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
A slight underfill might cause a problem in the long term. I don't see it causing an immediate problem.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:17 AM
EvoM Guru

An under fill will cause a problem long term. The tcase is very sensitive to oil level. However, 2-3 mile cruise around the block at less than 30mph isn't going to hurt it.

Best way to tell if its full: pull the fill the fill plug, if fluid starts running out, put the fill plug back. Its full, you're good to go. Make sure the car is level when you do this.

I fill mine per Shep's recommendation: pump the whole bottle of diaqueen in through the drain hole, and ship it...
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

When I got done filling it with fluid as soon as I removed the fill tube it started to run out pretty fast so I had to hurry up and get the fill plug back on. I just went out for lunch and drove it less than a mile and didn't hear a peep. It sounds good. Should I still pull the plug and check it? I'm pretty sure it's going to run out as soon as I do, don't want to lose any more fluid.

BTW how come when I drained it so little came out? Is there a lot just get stuck in crevices?

Here is what I based the amount to put in:

**Update** Actually the amount that should go in is 851 ML. I actually put in 900 ML (or darn near it). I was thinking .9 quart was 900 ML. So anyway it may be slightly overfilled or the amount that landed into my paint measure bucket was the excess 49 ML (at least I'm hoping )

Last edited by koolzero; Nov 9, 2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 10:52 AM
EvoM Guru

You need to pull the fill plug to check the level AFTER the car has been driven. NOT before.

Overfill is fine. Like I said, Shep recommend pumping a whole bottle of diaqueen into it through the fill plug. It creates a slight overfill which, for a hypoid gear, isn't a bad thing..

Quick Reply: Noisy transfer-case after fluid change