Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

PTE turbo journal vs BB high rpm reliability

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 05:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PTE turbo journal vs BB high rpm reliability

Getting ready to throw my car on the dyno this weekend. In the interest of not having an overworked turbo and failing, I'm considering the amount of abuse my 6766 journal bearing will take before the bearings hate life.

I imagine for the power goals I'm looking for the car will be seeing 40 psi at least(gauge pressure at 4800' above sea level), question is how much rpm can the turbo sustain before the bearing fails?

Has anyone see the journal bearing variants hold up to big boost/high rpm for a relatively decent amount of time?

I have only tuned the BB versions to high boost so I'm kinda into new territory with the journal bearing version, I'd rather not push it if it won't handle it.

Thanks,
Old Jan 14, 2014, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
with 95% of the drag cars using these larger turbos and a lot of guys on the street i dont see many if any failure posts. i would assume you will be fine. its not like the car is going to be put on a road course with that turbo were it may always be at very high RPMs

as long as you have adequate oil feed to the turbo i would think you will be just fine. good luck when you hit the rollers.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by project_skyline
... my 6766 journal bearing ... 40 psi ... 4800' above sea level) ...
Are you sure it will make it to 40psi before you run out of rpm?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:25 AM
Evolved Member

If u want reliability go with Garrett over precision.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:41 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my opinion the PTE JB turbos do not last as long as they really should. We never really have any issues with the PTE ball bearing turbos but we do have a decent amount of problems with the JB turbos. If you're looking to run 30-40 psi on a 6766 I would go with a ball bearing unit.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I would further Chris' assessment by pointing out that in addition to the reliability factor, the inferior spool and transient response of the JB unit, compounded by the altitude, is just too great a performance penalty. It's a situation whereby I wouldn't recommend that turbo under any circumstances, even if it were free. A far better idea is to sell it to someone with a different application, and apply the proceeds toward a superior option.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
I would further Chris' assessment by pointing out that in addition to the reliability factor, the inferior spool and transient response of the JB unit, compounded by the altitude, is just too great a performance penalty. It's a situation whereby I wouldn't recommend that turbo under any circumstances, even if it were free. A far better idea is to sell it to someone with a different application, and apply the proceeds toward a superior option.
I agree 100% and to answer your first question I'm unsure as of yet, guess I will have to see.

Ya I'm kinda smacking myself for going with the JB version. Oh well, ya live and learn.