Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rebuild rear diff or send it off?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuild rear diff or send it off?

I have a 05 evo 8 & the rear gear set it shot! broke teeth off both, but the rear diff itself looks good. I was planning on getting the hks 4.11 gear set or should i sty with stock? i was also going to go head and replace the gaskets and bearing while it was out, and also rearrange the disc. So would i be better off ordering the parts and doing it myself, or sending it off to TRE, shep, or jacks? thanks in advance!! Dalton
Old Jan 21, 2014, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im a bit confused but the 4.11 Final drive would be in your tranmission, not anything to do with your rear.. you can easily find a complete rear for $250+ used. if you definitely want to make it stronger then im sure an expert like TRE would know the ways to getting you there, since replacing parts will make it the same as it was. which these things are pretty stout, sorry to hear you had issues.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 01:56 PM

oh my bad on the gear set thing, i was told you you could change that haha I have emailed TRE bout week go & still have not gotten a answer but i know he stays busy.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totally depends on your experience and comfort level. Unless you really feel like you know what you are doing, or are willing to risk time and money, I'd send it out for a rebuild.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TRE max lock, the oversteer will own you.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dkutej
oh my bad on the gear set thing, i was told you you could change that haha I have emailed TRE bout week go & still have not gotten a answer but i know he stays busy.
Keep emailing him or calling him (if his number is on the website). He's a hard guy to reach but once you reach him and able to send out your rear diff, you'll be happy.

Although if your ring and pinion are shot, he might make you get a new set, which is around $550-$600 for the set. Buying a used rear diff somewhere, sending that unit in and selling the LSD as a whole to someone might be cheaper to do.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 07:59 PM

ill keep emailing him, ive been looking for a new gear set but really havent found anything, but ill look for a used rear end try to work out a deal. thanks everyone! im ready to get it back on the road since the v8 guys re doggin me right now