Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help evo 9 engine problems!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2014 | 02:52 PM

Help evo 9 engine problems!!!!!

Recently my engine started sputtering! Took it to the shop they said number four cylinder is dead! 0 compression! Today I the valve cover off found that the cams are rusted pretty bad! Also found a significant amount of oil in the number 2 stark plug well. I know that the seal is out! Real question is that if the car is out of time would it cause a misfire in one of the cylinders? And would that read 0compression in one of the cylinders any advice would be awesome I am new to too evos.
Old Feb 3, 2014 | 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Bump, I would also like to know. I wish their is a crash course for Evo 8/9 specific on compression and diagnosing things to look for in case of problems like this occurs.
Old Feb 3, 2014 | 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Belt timing would affect all cylinders the same. I doubt that the cams are rusty - maybe covered with sludge if the oil hasn't been changed regularly. The rocker area is very oily.

Get a compression gauge and confirm what that shop is telling you or have it tested again somewhere else. If still true then proceed to a leakdown test in an effort to tell whether the head or block is bad.

Last edited by barneyb; Feb 3, 2014 at 10:10 AM.
Old Feb 3, 2014 | 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by barneyb
Belt timing would affect all cylinders the same. I doubt that the cams are rusty - maybe covered with sludge if the oil hasn't been changed regularly. The rocker area is very oily.

Get a compression gauge and confirm what that shop is telling you or have it tested again somewhere else. If still true then proceed to a leakdown test in an effort to tell whether the head or block is bad.
This is a good idea. getting a second opinion although can cost money is better than taking the risk of being screwed (Although I do not know the shops reputation Or quality of work)

A compression tester from an autoparts store doesn't cost much and doing your own compression check is fairly simple if you are mechanically inclined.
Old Feb 4, 2014 | 08:17 AM

It's rusted for sure!!!!
Old Feb 4, 2014 | 08:24 AM

The spark plug gap was way over the suggested gap for an evo running stock boost. Last night I gaped them myself. My car is running a lot better. But still shaky at idle. I do believe it's out of time but I'm not to familiar with timing on the car. I'm comfortable timing it myself I've done it a few times before but never on a four cylinder! I've looked online for timing mark alignment at top dead center but no luck on finding a graph or picture that I'm comfortable using any advice would help. I do plan on doing a compression test today before messing with the timing. Thank for all the help!!!
Old Feb 4, 2014 | 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

You should check your PCV to make sure it's pulling moisture out, sounds like you have more then one issue going on. Make sure the motor is hot when performing a compression check and have a new set of plugs when replacing. Check your old plugs for signs of running conditions and a boost leak check should be performed as well. The oil leak in the spack plug well would cause the misfire, so new seals and plugs should solve at least one issue. The rusted CAMS are another and sounds like you have to much moisture build up. Do you have a Catch Can? There's a cheap Do-it-yourself that cost about $30 and have worked for me for seven years, worth looking in to.
Old Feb 4, 2014 | 08:34 AM

No catch can! I'll look into making one thanks for the tip