Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Which Oil Filter For The EVO?
Mobil M1 - 108
29.51%
Genuine Mitsubishi Oil Filter
63.66%
I Just Use the Cheapest One That Fits
6.83%
Voters: 366. You may not vote on this poll

Which Oil Filter?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2004, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you been using the M1-108 yourself? How long have you been using it and with no problems?
Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I have been using the M1-108 for awhile now, no probs.
Great little filter.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Just installed the Mobil 1 108 filter today. Its smaller in diameter compared to the OEM, but it seemed to seal well.

Does anyone have more experience on this filter on our EVOs? At least changed therm twice? Leaks? Hows the Wear? , etc?
Old Mar 30, 2004, 11:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by mifesto
i 'heard' mitsu replaced the current OEM evo filter to another one.. anyone know of this and wats the difference?
They did replace it. My buddy at mitsu was telling me about it. Something about what they used inside of it. Some kind of blue fiber I think he said. It's suppose to be a lot better. FYI, they replaced all mitsu oil filters with new ones.
Old Mar 30, 2004, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Location: [6][5][0]san mateo, California..."rEpN dA YaY aReA!!"
OEM course its for our car made for our car so therefore i use it for my car
Old Mar 30, 2004, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by JDM_FeTiSh
OEM course its for our car made for our car so therefore i use it for my car
So would you replace your clutch with an OEM one if it went out?
Old Mar 31, 2004, 01:13 AM
Evolving Member

I'm using Purolator, which is skinnier than the OEM. I heard that the "new" OEM filter isn't very good, not as good as the "old" one. Has anyone cut open a new OEM to check it out? I thought all they did was replaced a bunch of different sized filters with only a couple, so they could save money. Not that they did it because it's a better filter. Just heresay though.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I feel that the filters that Auto parts stores give to customers are for the Standard Lancer, and that they did no research for our filter. It has been said in other threads that the EVO filter (well the new one anyway) is used on Mitsu's other V6 vehicles. These V6 filters have a larger diameter than the 4-cylinder vehicle filters and have a bit more volume too.

Now, I think its safe to assume that the smaller filter is better suited for 4-cyl vehicles because they have less oil to filter, most use just 4qts of oil. So the filter is going to be smaller in diameter and have smaller pleats in the filter material because it does not have to filter more than 4qts of oil at a time.

However, on the V6 vehicles they have to support up to 5qts of oil to filter and NEED a larger filter. The pleats are going to have deeper folds and more filter media surface area to filter oil. This would give the filter a larger diameter and a bit more volume. This is to support more oil that the vehicle has. This will probably make the oil last longer to, since the oil is going to be filtered more efficiently and have less of a chance of by-passing the filter.

More than likely they V6 filter is a better choice for the EVO due to the EVO’s increased oil capacity size and filtering needs.

I currently use the NAPA Gold filter (made by WIX) on my EVO that is for a mitsu V6 vehicle. Also, why would the OEM filter be so large compaired to the smaller ones you can buy at stores, or why is the mounting plate bigger?
Old Mar 31, 2004, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Mr. WannaEVO
FRAM x2 doublegard is an outstanding aftermarket filter. CLICK HERE for a good discussion on sythetic vs. conventional oils and oil filters.

I agree no need to waste the additional money to get OEM. I've never put OEM oil filter in any of my cars.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Event-Horizon
I feel that the filters that Auto parts stores give to customers are for the Standard Lancer, and that they did no research for our filter. It has been said in other threads that the EVO filter (well the new one anyway) is used on Mitsu's other V6 vehicles. These V6 filters have a larger diameter than the 4-cylinder vehicle filters and have a bit more volume too.

Now, I think its safe to assume that the smaller filter is better suited for 4-cyl vehicles because they have less oil to filter, most use just 4qts of oil. So the filter is going to be smaller in diameter and have smaller pleats in the filter material because it does not have to filter more than 4qts of oil at a time.

However, on the V6 vehicles they have to support up to 5qts of oil to filter and NEED a larger filter. The pleats are going to have deeper folds and more filter media surface area to filter oil. This would give the filter a larger diameter and a bit more volume. This is to support more oil that the vehicle has. This will probably make the oil last longer to, since the oil is going to be filtered more efficiently and have less of a chance of by-passing the filter.

More than likely they V6 filter is a better choice for the EVO due to the EVO’s increased oil capacity size and filtering needs.

I currently use the NAPA Gold filter (made by WIX) on my EVO that is for a mitsu V6 vehicle. Also, why would the OEM filter be so large compaired to the smaller ones you can buy at stores, or why is the mounting plate bigger?
While this may seem logical, it is actually incorrect. The size of the canister has almost nothing to due with the size of the filter media. Cut open a Mitsu filter and the cut open a M1-108 which is actually smaller than the stock filter. Another thing you fail to mention is oil operating pressure. This is a major factor as far as application is concerned. That Napa filter that you are using (V6 application) is probably distorting all to hell every time you start the EVO. It gets worse with high RPM. The EVO has insane operation pressure (100PSI) for a factory vehicle.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

I guess we'll still have to wait until there's official word, or Mobil 1 comes out with one at least the same size as OEM so it quits confusing people.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the size of the canister has everything to do with the size of the filter media. The filter media goes almost to the wall of the canister. As far as a filter distorting, what do you mean, is the media distorting or the canister? Also, the NAPA filter is very well made; the media has metal end-caps and a metal anti-drain back valve, unlike the FRAM filters that have cardboard end caps and very thin canister walls. Why would Mitsu take a filter from a V6 and put it on the EVO, wouldnt they know that it needs to handle 100pi?
Old Mar 31, 2004, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not saying that the filter that mitsu is using now is wrong just because it is use for a V-6. Also, filter media does not always go to the edge of the can. All that I'm trying to point out is that there a alot of EVO guys that are "eyballing" filters from the outside and if it it apears to be close to stock size and has the same thread pitch, they use it. If the filter is smaller, but the MFG of the filter has that filter listed for use of the EVO, they don't want to use it.

My point is, just because a filter may be smaller than stock does not mean it is not as good or better.

Event-Horizon, I would suggest that you get the OEM filter from Mitsu and a M1-108 and cut them open. I think you will be suprised.

Take care.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

I just installed my last "MD" filter and removed an "MZ"--I had a local vendor do my previous oil change. After a quick scan of the MZ, I can definitely attest to the fact that it's innards have been cheapened drastically. I don't want to put that (IMHO) p.o.c. filter on my car again. I hope a manufacturer produces a viable replacement filter in the next 3-5 months.
Old Mar 31, 2004, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Oh you know they won't. I think I've heard enough to give the M1-108 a shot... Can anyone say if it hangs down lower than the OEM? I don't want it to have more of a chance to bottom out than the OEM.