Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

06 EVO IX idle problem

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 EVO IX idle problem

Ok so my EVO IX started to idle weird about a week ago. First time I noticed it was when I was in traffic in a snow storm coming home from work. While in traffic every once in a while the car would bog when I would put it back in neutral. It did not happen every time, I would say one out of every four times I moved up in traffic. When I am driving the car it runs smooth and nothing is wrong.

Now the problem is getting worse and more often. When I come to stops It feels like the car wants to stall out but never actually does. It will dip down in RPM's to about 400 and rev itself back up to about 1500 and then flatten back out. Sometimes it will just idle at about 750-800 RPM's and feel rough.

My car usually idles at about 1000 and was a smooth idle. The cams are stock.

Mods:
fuel pump
FP green turbo (just rebuilt)
Turbo back exhaust
O2 dump
Flash tuned

I bought the car with the mods on it and had the turbo rebuilt by FP and installed it myself with all new gaskets. I never touched the tune at all.

I have been doing my research on possible problems but just wanted some advise.

Things I have done are a boost leak test and everything is nice and tight. Checked all the plumbing and everything is nice and tight. I cleaned my MAF and that did not help the problem at all.

One last thing I do know is that I have an exhaust leak. The gasket on the O2 housing is the wrong one and exhaust comes out the dump even at idle. This is my next step is to fix this as I have the correct gasket for it sitting in my glove box (I know great spot for it right). Since it is on the exhaust side though I did not think it could cause problems as such.

One other possibility I can think of is my IACV starting to go bad and causing this issue.

Right now I am looking for some advise on what else it could possibly be. Everything thread I have read on this subject I have yet to see their solution.

Here is a link of a video of my car and exactly what she is doing.

Thanks you in advance for all the help!!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Try the gasket and report back.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:16 AM

I basically have the same thing going on except maybe a little worse. My car is still all stock right now though as I just bought it a little over a month ago. I just bought a new IAC valve and new spark plugs, they should be here by the end of the week. I'll keep watching your thread and if you haven't fixed it yet, I will report back and let you know if these things fix my idle once they're installed.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 02:06 AM

Ok thanks. I will change my gasket and report back. I am goin to try and do it this weekend but the weather is suppose to be terrible.

I just put new spark plugs in my Evo and that didn't help me at all. I'm still thinking it's the IACV but I will change this gasket first before I buy more parts.

Thanks
Old Feb 5, 2014, 03:27 PM

I cleaned my IACV today and that did not fix the problem. I did change my spark plugs over the weekend and that did not fix it either. I will have to keep searching for more things to try out. Next I am going to fix my exhaust leak and see if that does the trick.