Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

3" or 4" intake, going SD on HKS 7460 Stock Frame Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2014, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
3" or 4" intake, going SD on HKS 7460 Stock Frame Turbo

Guys

I am going SD: should I stay with 3" or upgrade to 4" intake, on HKS 7460 turbo (Stock frame)?

Thanks
I cannot find comparison to show dyno results between using 3" and 4", if any advantage.
Rather stay 3", to maintain the AEM Carb Legal AEM intake pipe.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Guys

I am going SD: should I stay with 3" or upgrade to 4" intake, on HKS 7460 turbo (Stock frame)?

Thanks
I cannot find comparison to show dyno results between using 3" and 4", if any advantage.
Rather stay 3", to maintain the AEM Carb Legal AEM intake pipe.
Your inlet is 2.5" isn't it? If so I would do the 3" to keep velocity.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure frankly, but its a at most 2.75" given that the AEM has a little adapter to fit over "stock-Frame" stock turbo, and its same for HKS.

Sound like 3" is enough.

Bump for few more suggestions
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
4 inch would technically better, provided you make a smooth transition to the 2.5 inlet.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:45 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by 94awdcoupe
4 inch would technically better, provided you make a smooth transition to the 2.5 inlet.
+1.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
[/URL]
Old Feb 28, 2014, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Wingless: is that HKS turbo in there? What size inlet?

94AWD, Mychailo,
Thanks guys.

May I ask specifically: technically its better to use 4", we are talking about gaining few % over what SD on 3" will do...or we are talking about ?

Help me out: I have this nice Carb Legal AEM intake, 3", newly installed.
I am limited to ~450whp on Mustang Dyno on E85. Maybe less.

Even though I am an engineer, and based on science I normally use the choke is at the choke, not upstream, there is more to the turbo/Internal Combustion science...
So maybe you can offer me your experience and also have you seen any testing?

Mychailo,
I know that Aaron at ER tested different inlet sizes...but I don't know the results nor what system was it: if it was a 3582 than its totally different than HKS 7460. But if it was an FP Green, we are talking valid comparison.

May also throw in another Q: new FP Green Stainless (non-twin scroll) housing with external waste gate. With FP, and others constantly coming out with new detail-upgrades (not sure improvements, but changes/upgrades)...we can spend $$$

So new FP SST housing requires new downpipe.

Do you see realistic improvement on FP Green from this "upgrade": what improvement, how much?

I am continuously monitoring the Stock_Frame medium size turbos, FP Green, FP Red, BBK-B.
I just spotted Zhong posted a more complete dyno-numbers done at FFTec (where i also get tuned) of his BBK-B on E85 on Buschur 2.3RPM motor 10:1. The spool is impressive on dyno, even though he feedback is less flattering - Zhong suggests its laggy on bottom, but once spooled it hauls.
I know based on his experience BBK-B is 450whp on MD turbo on Track-Tune, and 500whp turbo on Street-Queen tune. And on E85 at least spools well.

So many questions..
Hit me back please.
Want to get the SD sorted in optimal fashion.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes. gt7460. 2.5 to 4" via heavily modified HKS intake
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thoroughly enjoying my SD set-up on stock turbo tuned by ER with a 3" intake.

If I am not mistaken ER found significant gains on a stock turbo with a 4" SD intake in combination with an FP 84mm housing.

Would be interesting to find out if there are gains for the stock compressor housing by going to 4". Given where it is located, eg upstream of turbo - apart from possible packaging issues - it cannot do any harm except to your wallet.

Originally Posted by alpinaturbo
Wingless: is that HKS turbo in there? What size inlet?

94AWD, Mychailo,
Thanks guys.

May I ask specifically: technically its better to use 4", we are talking about gaining few % over what SD on 3" will do...or we are talking about ?

Help me out: I have this nice Carb Legal AEM intake, 3", newly installed.
I am limited to ~450whp on Mustang Dyno on E85. Maybe less.

Even though I am an engineer, and based on science I normally use the choke is at the choke, not upstream, there is more to the turbo/Internal Combustion science...
So maybe you can offer me your experience and also have you seen any testing?

Mychailo,
I know that Aaron at ER tested different inlet sizes...but I don't know the results nor what system was it: if it was a 3582 than its totally different than HKS 7460. But if it was an FP Green, we are talking valid comparison.

May also throw in another Q: new FP Green Stainless (non-twin scroll) housing with external waste gate. With FP, and others constantly coming out with new detail-upgrades (not sure improvements, but changes/upgrades)...we can spend $$$

So new FP SST housing requires new downpipe.

Do you see realistic improvement on FP Green from this "upgrade": what improvement, how much?

I am continuously monitoring the Stock_Frame medium size turbos, FP Green, FP Red, BBK-B.
I just spotted Zhong posted a more complete dyno-numbers done at FFTec (where i also get tuned) of his BBK-B on E85 on Buschur 2.3RPM motor 10:1. The spool is impressive on dyno, even though he feedback is less flattering - Zhong suggests its laggy on bottom, but once spooled it hauls.
I know based on his experience BBK-B is 450whp on MD turbo on Track-Tune, and 500whp turbo on Street-Queen tune. And on E85 at least spools well.

So many questions..
Hit me back please.
Want to get the SD sorted in optimal fashion.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

I have to see this ER test...and yes, I can totally see how an 84mm cover which is 3.3" (25.4mm in 1"), will benefit form 4" as using 3" would require a reducer.

But an HKS...maybe ER knows, all it took is one Evo 9 turbo or original FP Green with 64mm (2.5") cover to test.

I agree it cannot hurt.
I see a possibility if you have a 4" that it acts sort of like air-reservoir similar to intake manifold volume....vs displacement of each stroke.

If somebody has some concrete links to Dyno tests or experiences, please chime in
Old Feb 28, 2014, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Alpinaturbo, I was going to scrap off the AEM carb sticker with a razor and transfer it to another intake pipe, but use an AEM dryflow filter. Maybe even put an extra AEM logo sticker as well.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 05:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I asked this very question before here figuring Tom would have deltaPower numbers but no such luck.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...ch-intake.html

I'd be more concerned with the available filter area rather than inlet diameter. Often it seems people are using ridiculously small filters on the end of their inlet pipes. If you notice in Tom's ad above, he's got a HUGE filter that's probably reducing all the head loss. My wager is that for your 7460 450whp application you'd see little gain between 3" & 4" piping given the same (adequate) filter. Plus it'll probably be easier to package that intake into a cold-air box.

I wish I had test data for you but I'm not on SD yet.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks

AEM intake filter is big
And I trust not a big restriction, but now am speaking laymans language- because I don't know what is big, small, concrete numbers

I need to present minimal restriction at 50+lb of air flow rate.

I hope Tom or Aaron see the post and add their experience
Old Mar 2, 2014, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Iveca ! (long time no talks)
Please find here picture of my 3'' (80mm outside diam.) intake pipe between the HKS turbo and Monster/Japan carbon air box. Of course you know it is also on a VI TME..

Last edited by stareast; Mar 2, 2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Daniel
Is that you?

The SD is not for TME, its for my 8.
Interestingly, I also have Monster air box, and ralliart hard-pipes on TME.

I decided to start with 3" intake, and at some future time I can test a 4" if any doubt in the decision.

I'll report findings.

Ivica