Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrade my hks 272 or not worth it Fp Green

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Upgrade my hks 272 or not worth it Fp Green

ive been researching but want more info for my particular setup. I wanna know if upgrading my hks 272s to gsc S2 is worth the money.

my setup now is an OG green all basic bolt ons and 93 oct
made 386awhp on a dynapack
this is stock block and stock head minus hks 272 and headbolts.

new setup is hta green, springs, retainers, ported head and e85 tune

Im also freshening up the head with new seals and no tick lifters plus my, timing belt **** and water pump.

So will I see decent gains with new cams over hks or leave them go?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you doing all that and have the spare cash upgrade the cams. You'll definitely will gain more power with S2's vs hks
Old Mar 5, 2014, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I remember seeing a thread a while back of someone going from hks to gsc and picking up like 40-50 hp.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i guess since all is torn down I might as well install the GSCs and sell the hks, Ill get some money back. Even A 15-20awhp gain will be worth it I suppose. **** always add up lol. I dont wanna waste money if its not worth it. I know ams tested cams in a high HP evo that was a great increase, but for me Im sure the increase is a lot less.
tscomptuned will be tuning it so Im sure he will do a great job with my car.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
hks 272's are rather mild. since you already have the old school green, just do the cams. The s2's or kelford 272's are both great. you will net around 30-40whp as stated above.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would also go with the s2's over the hks, especially if you are going to have a built head. the power band of the s2s with a good tuner is just phenomenal. Your spool rpm will be around the same as the hks, but the pull and drop off will just have a great noticeable difference. what power are you trying to put down?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

power will depend on what tuner feels will be safe for stock block. I would like at least 50 more on pump and whatever on e85. I know he will have to keep torque low. My old green while has been great and reliable its just time for more from it plus a freshening up will give me more years of life.
Heres my dyno on a dynapack I dont know if they read high or low. The 420hp was on c16. Not sure exactly what to expect with better HTA green, upgraded cams and head with porting, and e85. My sig does not say but my manifolds are stock but ported too with a 65mm tb.

My main goal is still be reliable with a safe tune. I do not drive car daily and is a weekend warrior so I dont need an on the edge tune just want more power.
Attached Thumbnails Upgrade my hks 272 or not worth it Fp Green-dyno-graph-382-420awhp.jpg  
Old Mar 5, 2014, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sivs
My old green while has been great and reliable its just time for more from it plus a freshening up will give me more years of life.
Have you ever thought about getting in contact with Force Performance?? ive herd of people sending in their turbos to get upgrades and changing out different exhaust/compressor housings and turbines and stuff. idk what the price would be but i can't imagine that it would cost as much as buying a new turbo.

also i noticed your from PA! where or who tunes your car?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo2H8
Have you ever thought about getting in contact with Force Performance?? ive herd of people sending in their turbos to get upgrades and changing out different exhaust/compressor housings and turbines and stuff. idk what the price would be but i can't imagine that it would cost as much as buying a new turbo.

thats what Im doing sending it in for upgrade and rebuild. Its $1100 or so with upgraded inlet housing and shipping. Evans tuning in Pa tuned my car prior 2 times. Im gonna go with tom at Tscomptuned now and he is also in pa . I heard great things about him and he is close to me

Im near Allentown Pa

Last edited by sivs; Mar 5, 2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: more info
Old Mar 6, 2014, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Our cars are very similar. Right down to the intercooler and cams. Check out my results with Tom. I would 100% go for the s2 cams. Esp since ur gonna be tinkering with the head. Those cams will help you produce well over 400whp without having to run the high boost I have to. Get a 3-port too. Tom's great. Tell him what you want and he makes it happen. The process is a blast too.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-93octane.html

Did you already send in your turbo for the conversion? I did the same thing with mine, and FYI it will take them at least 3 months to get it back to you. It took them about 5 months for mine. You'll have to wait a little while til Tom gets to you, but when you're up you better be ready to roll.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 09:44 AM
Evolving Member

I hope not months. I called them and said 3 or 4 weeks turnaround. Its coming off on saturday. Thx for all the info guys. Ill def. Get the cams.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 05:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sivs
I hope not months. I called them and said 3 or 4 weeks turnaround. Its coming off on saturday. Thx for all the info guys. Ill def. Get the cams.
I don't wanna be a downer man, just going from experience here... you might be the rare exception, but ask anyone who has bought an FP turbo. They tell everyone it will be 3-4 wks and it never is. Even people who buy a brand new turbo direct from them, it takes a while. If you send in a 9 turbo to be converted, it's gonna take a while man...trust me. I just want you to be prepared. I thought I was ahead of the curve by sending mine in December...figured I'd get it back by Feb and have the car buttoned up for early spring. Didn't get it til late April. Booked with Tom right away and I believe we started tuning that May (this was 2012). Don't rely on the turnaround estimate they give you...and don't make any tuning arrangements until its in your hands. I'm not sure what his policy is when your turn comes up for tuning and you're not ready. He's busy as all hell tho so I can tell you he prob doesn't have time to screw around. Great guy, great tuner, great cust service, but he's all business. It's up to you man, but FP is famous for the "3-4 week turnaround" lol. The caliber of their gear makes up for it in the end tho.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Evo2H8

Here's FP's turbo upgrade page:

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...=Turbo-Upgrade
Old Mar 7, 2014, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Based on the cams test that AMS did several years back, the S2's would gain you significant high end power over the HKS. However, the car would have faster spool/ low end response with the HKS.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by foxbat
Based on the cams test that AMS did several years back, the S2's would gain you significant high end power over the HKS. However, the car would have faster spool/ low end response with the HKS.

LOL i was just reading that test. Im gonna order them this weekend I made my mind up thx guys