Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fuel Cell Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Cell Installation Questions

I just bought a fuel cell and I have some questions regarding fuel delivery and plumbing

Car:
2006 Evo 9
RC 750cc
AMS rail
93 pump
About 360 whp, or so

Use:
Hillclimbs

Fuel Cell Details (As delivered):
Fuel Safe SM110
Soft bladder
Pickup is in the center, rear
No sump tank
Foam is pre-installed
(1) 8 AN feed, (1) 8 AN return

I pulled the top plate and took a pic (attached)

My car has the stock hardlines currently running to the location where the factory tank was so the are open and ready to join to, just in front of the left rear wheel.

Questions:
-Should I adapt to a 6 AN soon after the connection at the cell (feed and return)?
-How should I orient the pump/s? A lift pump inside the cell, and another pusher outside? i.e. single Walbro in the tank and an 044 outside?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails Fuel Cell Installation Questions-evo-fuel-cell.jpg  
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I use a -8an feed and return with adapters to drop the size to -6an with a 3/8" barb. Then about 2 feet of fuel hose to connect the barbs to the factory hard lines. I have 16k miles with this setup and no leaks/issues. I would think about adding a bulkhead to feed the 2nd pump with a switch to kick it on only when needed. Click on the link in my sig to see some pics of my setup.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
I use a -8an feed and return with adapters to drop the size to -6an with a 3/8" barb. Then about 2 feet of fuel hose to connect the barbs to the factory hard lines. I have 16k miles with this setup and no leaks/issues. I would think about adding a bulkhead to feed the 2nd pump with a switch to kick it on only when needed. Click on the link in my sig to see some pics of my setup.

Great info! Thanks for the quick reply. Considering my pump will have to pull the fuel up and out of the tank, vs yours pulling just from the bottom, would you imagine that I would need an in-tank pump to get the fuel out and then another to push it, or?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:07 AM
Evolved Member

I can't really tell how your cell is set up. If it's made to have a pump mounted inside, run your primary pump in there and use the bulkhead fitting on the bottom or as low as you can fit it to the cell have gravity feed the 2nd pump similar to how mine is on the sump. You won't need nor would want both pumps running all the time.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
I can't really tell how your cell is set up. If it's made to have a pump mounted inside, run your primary pump in there and use the bulkhead fitting on the bottom or as low as you can fit it to the cell have gravity feed the 2nd pump similar to how mine is on the sump. You won't need nor would want both pumps running all the time.
Everything attaches at the top plate and the pickup hose drops down to the rear center. No way to do bulkheads because of the flexible bladder.

With some more reading it looks like my best bet is to leave the inside of the cell just as it is and route things coming from the cell as:

Feed:
-8 AN to 6 AN fitting at the top. (Not enough power to need -8)
-"Twist-Tite" style fittings with Aeromotive line to an external Bosch 044
-Then an inline fuel filter
-Finally to the factory feed which disconnects near the left rear wheel
*Note: Because the Porsche OE app for this pump is external and the fuel must be lifted in those cars I think the distance from the bottom of my cell to the top fittings is hopefully within Bosch's spec. Because this cell does not have a sump I will need to make sure that the cell is full before I make a run.

Return:
-"Twist-Tite" and Aeromotive from the factory return back to the cell

Any thoughts on a surge tank?

Thanks again
Old Mar 16, 2014, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

I like the idea of a surge tank in any kind of racing and especially with a fuel cell without a sump.