Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

pinging with dp and cat-back?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2004, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pinging with dp and cat-back?

hey everyone. Just came back from a mini evo meet in so cali, and we all got into a discussion about pinging. This one guy, who seemed to know his stuff (mind you im very car retard) said that if you get a dp and catback, you're gonna start pinging... He said the only way to avoid it is to get a new ECU, boost controller, and injectors. But with all those mods my 6 year warranty is for sure gonna get voided.

Anyone experiencing any of this?

Should this stop me from getting my RMR downpipe and RMR catback?
Old Mar 5, 2004, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Re: pinging with dp and cat-back?

Originally posted by ku7484
hey everyone. Just came back from a mini evo meet in so cali, and we all got into a discussion about pinging. This one guy, who seemed to know his stuff (mind you im very car retard) said that if you get a dp and catback, you're gonna start pinging... He said the only way to avoid it is to get a new ECU, boost controller, and injectors. But with all those mods my 6 year warranty is for sure gonna get voided.

that is weird.

not really sure were that guy got his information. there are plenty of peps on here with those mods that you mentioned with no problems, myself included. I first installed a bushur cone filter, and ultrimate racing dp, test pipe, and cat-back, all 3" and I never heard one ping. And what NEW ecu is this guy talking about. I wasnt even aware that there was a new ecu for the USDM Evo 8. I would just go for it. As far as the ecu, there are many options for tuning...such as and afc, afr, and a few vendors on here do ecu reflashes. My mods so far are 3" UR turbo back, bushcur cone filter, and Hallman MBC and DYNOFLASH, and my car put down 310whp/294ft/lbs torque.

happy modding
Old Mar 5, 2004, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

pinging = detonation... basically running too lean. catback will not cause you to ping, as the stock evo is already running WAY too rich.. a nice way of giving evo a huge safety margin according to mitsu... adding a downpipe people say makes you loose alil psi which means at top end, you are running richer then others on the upper rpms... that may be why the guy is saying you need to get an injector. for the evo, i have read the bottleneck in the fuel delivery system is not the injector, but the fuel pump. i guess the first thing u should do for an evo is not a brand new ecu nor an injector but a boost controller, boost gauge and maybe an ecu reflash. a brand new ecu is unnecessary.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by mifesto
pinging = detonation... basically running too lean.
Or to much ignition advance.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

how much does a good new ecu reflash cost?
Old Mar 5, 2004, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

putting on a dp and a catback will not result in audible detonation -_- Even without any tuning, I know this well since I have that setup right now....as to tuning....since you're in socal, check out the dynoflash tuning session that'll occur on the weekend of april 10-11th. There's still room for signing up. Whether you want a custom tune or a off the shelf flash, it'll be up to you. Prices are posted also. Check out the dynoflash forums and look for the thread.
Old Mar 5, 2004, 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Re: pinging with dp and cat-back?

Originally posted by ku7484

The guy is talking out of his ***....