Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

add one to the jacked tranny list

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Another question to throw out, if the syncro's do in fact have an issue, what good is replacing them with the same pieces again going to do? Unless there is a problem in the build quality in that the transmissions came out of the factory out of spec in regaurd to tolerances during build, then the problem will just show up again later after the new syncro's are put in correct? If they did not work the first time then they will fail again at some point later.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry man. If you did not abuse it go back and make them fix it. If you push hard enough they will. Same thing with my S2000 they did not wanna fix the tranny and I gave them hell. 2 days it was fixed with a free car wash. be nice to them and explain that you really did not abuse it. Anyways don’t fix it just buy a six speed or five from Japan it would be much cheaper.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this in the least scares me! My service department here sucks anyway and hearing this news makes me even more worried... I pray that my tranny problems dont get any worse... Also im very sorry to hear about this drama man it was nothing like this last week. If mitsu*****y doesnt warranty this i wont ever buy another car from them!
Old Mar 9, 2004, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

oh crap I have the same noise. Damn!! I thought its was my exhaust hitting something. Ohh man my car was just in the dealer getting checked out and now this why oh why.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

any chance of recording this noise? im pretty worried i got it too....
Old Mar 9, 2004, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

they basically have nothing to do with deciding if it will get warrantied now.. the mitsu rep came out and made his own assesment...

the service rep showed up and left before i got there this morning.
he asked the service guys if i was being a dick to them, stating if i was a dick he would instantly deny everything. The service techs told him i was very calm, and not being a dick to them..which is true.. i blame mitsu, not the service dept.

He left me with these choices..
1. replace the entire tranny, mitsu would cover $2k of the $5k
it would then have a new 12k,12month warranty
2. replace 3rd and 4th gears and their synchros, i would have to pay for the clutch replacement (around $800)..no warranty at all.
3. take the car as is, and find another shop to do the install and get parts...no warranty.

so basically if i want my warranty back, i have to pay $3k!

on a side note...
when my girlfriend came to pick me up yesterday, the service guy from veracom asked, "is that your girl?"..."is she asian?"
i say "yes, she's hawaiian, japanese, chinese, and korean."
he says, "welcome to the club, you should marry that girl, asians make great wifes, very loyal." "since your girl is asian, im going to give you a 10% discount."
WTF?!?! thats definitly racism, only giving me a discount because of my girlfriend is asian..
i didnt say anything at the time, but i sure as hell am gonna bring it up to the service manager as soon as my car is out of there.

Im not sure what to do...if i go the route of just replacing the clutch (and they take care of 3rd and 4th) i might as well get an aftermarket clutch.... any suggestions?

i'll post pics tonight of my clutch and gears and post them.

any advice is more than welcome...i need to figure out something soon.

thanks!
BUDLoNG
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

for pics of my dismanteled tranny go here..

http://budlong.50megs.com/trans/trans.html
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Of those pictures, where is the damage? I see lots of shavings collected on 9 and 10, but that's kinda normal for trannys wearing in the brass parts.

Was the clutch slipping? It looks pretty good. That disk has little wear.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:17 PM
Evolving Member

replacing the clutch under no warranty???? tell him to look in the manual, it says the clutch is covered under warranty for the 1st year and 12,000 miles. I wouldn't take the offer. And by him saying that if you were a jerk and he can deny your warranty because of that, thats grounds for discrimation right there. I'd say dont pay a penny. You shouldn't have to pay, if anything you have to pay is the clutch but then again not entirely your fault either.

my 2 cents
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

ofmg that clutch doesnt even look bad! i have seen 200% worse looking clutches in many different cars.... They call this abuse they need to be shot! This is pissing me off and its not even my problem (though i fear soon enough it will be) I will be honest right now i would be an *******.. I'm an ******* when it pertains to my money! and 5g thats alot of loot. If this happens to me mitsubishi is going to have a car thru the front window of their showroom! Im not a nice person when it comes to warranty work unless there are no questions asked. Let mitsubishi keep this **** up and i assure them they will eventually end up with a class action lawsuit against them from many different owners.....
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:23 PM
slt
Evolved Member

Originally posted by budlong
for pics of my dismanteled tranny go here..

http://budlong.50megs.com/trans/trans.html
looks like your getting screwed to me
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

they said major abuse on the clutch plate.... i dont know one way or another if its as bad as they say..
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

u guys keep missing the point.. if your clutch is blued or shows any other signs of abuse, your drivetrain warranty is denied.

thats what im going to fight in court if i have to go that far... im having no luck finding a lawyer...
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not see anything wrong, I damn sure do not see where parts of third gear came apart and beat everything else up. Unless you did not get a picture of it, I just do not see it. Your syncro's do not even look worn. The amont of heat spotting on the flywheel and pressure plate is not all that bad and it looks like there was plenty of clutch left. Maybe someone else with more experience can comment, I just do not see the evidence of abuse.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

i get the point...

i get that point but if they tell me this.... They are going to need all the mechanic's to dislodge my foot out of the service managers ***!

Quick Reply: add one to the jacked tranny list