Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

add one to the jacked tranny list

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2004, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It is interesting that the damage is at the input end of the input shaft and there are rumors of input shaft problems which are most likely the input bearing. Too much radial play in that shaft will cause a constant changing in gear contact area and most certainly can cause a gear to chip, especially on the edge like in the pic.

If you get it fixed and are paying, you want all the old parts back.
Warranty requires thier return.

Based on my knowledge of the failure I read about on this board I think the input bearing might have been the cause of the failure. (educated guess)
This also does not bode well for the clutch since the clutch is hubbed on the end of that shaft and would not run true when being engaged and disengaged. But again that clutch does not look that bad.
Regardless, I don't think they can justify the transmission failure as being in anyway your fault unless they can properly diagnose the reason for the failure. I can understand them wanting you to pay for the clutch asm.

Last edited by timzcat; Mar 10, 2004 at 12:51 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they basically said, "blue clutch voids the warranty" so even if its not my fault, because my clutch has blue, they will not honor the warranty.. that the hurdle i have to get past..
r u a mechanic btw? if so id like to use your opinion when i speak to mitsu again..
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Uh that supposed tooth damage is just the edge of the 3rd gear.. I see no damage. It is just the angle. You are looking at the end of the gear. that isn't even where any contacts it. Look closely at the picture it is just the end of the gear. I believe it is 2nd gear that is right in front of it. and there is a glare on 2nd gear of that edge.. It's hard to see from just a single picture. many pictures from many angles would help. But double check what you're seeing there.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

That pic is of 1st gear on the bottom ( just a small bit) , 2nd in the middle and 3rd on the top right?
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

they basically said, "blue clutch voids the warranty" so even if its not my fault, because my clutch has blue, they will not honor the warranty.. that the hurdle i have to get past..
r u a mechanic btw? if so id like to use your opinion when i speak to mitsu again..
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

UPDATE--
just got off the phone with the regional manager from mitsu headquaters..
turns out the dealer was not telling me what the RM told them. This is what they are going to do...
Replace 3rd and 4th gears, replace the syncros, replace the bearings, and reassmeble the tranny. Mitsu will pay for this. I, in turn, have to pay for a new clutch. If i go this route, the RM said i would still have a warranty for my drivetrain if something broke in the future (as long as there is no sign of abuse)...

so im not completely satisfied... but ****, $800 for the clutch and install is much better than $5000..and it will be warrantied.

im gonna be talking with the service manager today and get everything moving.. so i can get my car back either at the end of the week, or early next week..

i guess im happy... actually im not happy, but im defintly happier than yesterday,..

BUDLoNG
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

That's some good news budlong.. Are you going to put in an aftermarket clutch as insurance?
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

is an aftermarket clutch really insurance? i think if u install an aftermarket clutch they will DEFINLTY void your drivetrain warranty... im sure they will say the aftermarket clutch gripped to much and caused the damage (whatever the damage may be)... no... i think im going oem...and keeping my warranty...

i defintly wont be able to enjoy my car again.. i'll be driving like a grandma...
weaksauce
Old Mar 10, 2004, 09:51 AM
slt
Evolved Member

Originally posted by budlong
$800 for the clutch and install is much better than $5000..and it will be warrantied
I'm glad to hear that. Why $800? Does a stock clutch really cost $800? There shouldn't be any labor because they have to take it out and put it back in anyways to fix the other problems.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They will charge for the price of labor anyway, you may be able to get rid of the labor part as they were going to have the tranny out anyway, but I think that they probably feel that they are doing you a favor, so I wouldn't count on it. Overall I think that you have done well and am glad to hear that things have taken an upswing. At least now they have a chance to get the input bearing clearence right as timzcat suggested. John Sheppard and David Buschur have found similar results independantly of one another.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Why are you even replacing the clutch? It looks fine. Was it slipping? It doesn't look to have been.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Well, moving from $4K to (almost) $1K is definitely an improvement. But what is their rationale for charging you for the clutch? If it was not "abused" why did it fail, and in failing is it the assumed cause of the gear damage?

I think your decision has become harder at this point. I still think you're being shafted, but the cost has become small enough that it may not be worth fighting over. The suggestion of getting the work done so you have a functional car and then going to small claims court may be the best option. At that point, it may not be worth *their* time to fight over it.

Good luck.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

I had to get my clutch replaced at the 6k mark due to a bad throwout bearing. It was 100x worse than yours is. It had big blue spots all over it. I only had to pay for the clutch disk because it is not covered(wearable item). I didn't have any problems with the service dept.

Last edited by Redcloud; Mar 10, 2004 at 11:40 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:50 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man. Mistubishi are a bunch of crooks. Your clutch appears to be fine. It seems like overcompensation for the money they stand to lose on fraudulant claims.

Blueing is normal.

If I had an evo with this noise I would not take it in. I would wait for seirous catastrophic failure. Diagnosing small noises is a pain and a waste of everyone's time and money.

Shep is now rebuilding EVO trannys for about $900.

That's all I've got.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

this is final outcome:
clutch assembly with OLD flywheel plus labor: $368
clutch assembly with NEW flywheel plus labor : $688

so its gone down from more than $5000 to no more than $700
the mechanic is supposed to tell me if the flywheel is damaged or warped... still waiting for his call....

it sucks i have to go thru all of this, but i was defintly worth it.

bastards

Quick Reply: add one to the jacked tranny list