Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ATP GTX3076R vs CBRD BBK-B BB

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2014, 06:57 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by xXANCHORMONXx
I was having the discussion with another person in the Bay Area as I was looking at the bbk-b since my full just blew.

I think oiling is a huge issue for road racing. I think the bbk b is great but can still get starved due to lower oil pressure in the head.
we run a similar bearing in our BB stuff as the Garrett turbos if anything- its more robust- more similar to the motorsport bearing-

we also supply the oil from the same spot we do when we run Garrett turbos-

ironically we have NEVER had ball bearing turbo failure due to oiling (garrett or BBK-BB) on anything we have built- EVER- period-

cb
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does that mean mine can be warrantied and I won't have to pay $1-2k to fix it?
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for chiming in Chad.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:08 PM
Account Disabled

that depends on what caused the failure which is why we need to see the turbo which hasnt been sent to us yet-

I would appreciate holding off on the comments until we do so-

I think that is common courtesy-

Obviously if we see something that is a problem from the manufacturing end- we stand behind our product- but the fact that this is our first Ball Bearing turbo issue- leaves me curious of other variables- time will tell- let's get it apart!!!

Cheers

CB
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

It got sent out Friday. It is on its' way. Looking forward on the diagnosis/analysis. Please report back if you can with your findings. I am very very interested in what you end up finding. Thank you Chad.

If it makes any difference at all, i have a 3qt accusump, Kiggly HLA, AMS oil pan, upgraded oil cooler. So about 9qts of oil it would take.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you have all of the parts to keep a turbo happy Zhong. Most others would not have all of that.

We can say this forsure, the turbo worked. You have many podium finishes with the BBK if anything CBRD should step up and sponsor you!
Old Apr 1, 2014, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsubeastlee
Sounds like you have all of the parts to keep a turbo happy Zhong. Most others would not have all of that.

We can say this forsure, the turbo worked. You have many podium finishes with the BBK if anything CBRD should step up and sponsor you!

I would like that VERY VERY MUCH. wink wink. nudge nudge.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Me on a larger displacement stroker MIVEC mill such as the 2.3L RR, or a 2.4L LR would do a BB FP Red with the new non-divided housing.

I like the Red for your application Zhong for a couple reasons. The Red is configured with a slightly larger compressor wheel than your 3B....so it will move more air and make more power than the 3B.

Secondly, the Red is configured with the same exact, low back pressure turbine wheel as its larger brother the FP Black.

Thirdly, the Red is fitted with the high pressure oil feed.

Lastly, the new single scroll FP turbine housing is a low back pressure design due to the no compromise, open turbine inlet area and the larger A/R. Just my .O2.

Last edited by sparky; Apr 1, 2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

I would also agree but he said he doesn't want to spend money on down pipe and wastegate just a stock replacement. Although I can't see it being as much as a new BBK 3B to repair his old one. That should be the best deal financially if it isn't fixed under warranty. Although the amount of time it did last indicates it wasn't defective but the stresses it endures racing might be too much. Being in the stock style turbine housing could increase the thermal stress. I think either a T3 kit or at minimum the new FP stainless housing with external wastegate would be a good idea. HTA green with 67mm turbine wheel and SS housing would be most comparable to what he currently has. A Red would probably make more power but be a little lazier. However for his specified rpm ranges I would buy a Black. That would transform the car into a wild animal.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by batty200
I would also agree but he said he doesn't want to spend money on down pipe and wastegate just a stock replacement. Although I can't see it being as much as a new BBK 3B to repair his old one. That should be the best deal financially if it isn't fixed under warranty. Although the amount of time it did last indicates it wasn't defective but the stresses it endures racing might be too much. Being in the stock style turbine housing could increase the thermal stress. I think either a T3 kit or at minimum the new FP stainless housing with external wastegate would be a good idea. HTA green with 67mm turbine wheel and SS housing would be most comparable to what he currently has. A Red would probably make more power but be a little lazier. However for his specified rpm ranges I would buy a Black. That would transform the car into a wild animal.
The fp red is still available with the stock hotside, it's just 300buck more. And a longer wait.

He can still send in a stock 9 turbo and get it rebuilt as well.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
we run a similar bearing in our BB stuff as the Garrett turbos if anything- its more robust- more similar to the motorsport bearing-

we also supply the oil from the same spot we do when we run Garrett turbos-

ironically we have NEVER had ball bearing turbo failure due to oiling (garrett or BBK-BB) on anything we have built- EVER- period-

cb
I never knew that.

I'm looking forward to the findings.

I think you guys make great turbos and I wasn't saying it was your fault or anything. Just the possibilty of oil starvation thanks to Mitsubishi's oem oil feed.

Old Apr 2, 2014, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Me on a larger displacement stroker MIVEC mill such as the 2.3L RR, or a 2.4L LR would do a BB FP Red with the new non-divided housing.

I like the Red for your application Zhong for a couple reasons. The Red is configured with a slightly larger compressor wheel than your 3B....so it will move more air and make more power than the 3B.

Secondly, the Red is configured with the same exact, low back pressure turbine wheel as its larger brother the FP Black.

Thirdly, the Red is fitted with the high pressure oil feed.

Lastly, the new single scroll FP turbine housing is a low back pressure design due to the no compromise, open turbine inlet area and the larger A/R. Just my .O2.
autocross is all about fast spool. the new red will spool ~600rpm slower than the 3B. plus I pretty sure the 3b has 57mm compressor wheel and fp red has 54.8mm. my current definition of the 3b is it makes the power of a red and spools faster than the green. that is of course comparing data from the TS FP turbos. there are zero real world results on the new open scroll stuff. fp themself say they spool 200 rpm slower than originals. I think real world will show even slower spool..
Old Apr 2, 2014, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I agree batty. English Racing has pointed out the limitations of the MHI 10.5 housing for circuit racing. It is just not where it's at for sustained high speed competition driving. In fact, FP's stainless housing was developed precisely to address the inherent flow deficiencies of the restrictive factory casting.

As for the ATP GTX 3076 l see that as being more like a lateral move. I dont think that it is going to give Zhong's car the power increase he is looking for or that the ATP housing is gonna solve exhaust backpressure, EGT, and cylinder temp, or combustion chamber pressure issues for him.

I look at his vid and I think that compressor flow with the 3B didn't provide enough airflow from upper midrange on up in the engine'spowerband. It seems to flatten out totally above 5000 RPM.

I kinda like your idea of a BB Black in the SS housing. I think that the compressor map would match up better in the top end.......It would be an animal with an easy 55-60 WHP up top over the 3B. I doubt that Zhong could live with the loss in spool.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

So, who said anything about auto-xing? I do agree with you about the spool trade off and the the unproven nature of the newly released FP housing though.

I kinda wish that Zhong would not give up on the 3B so fast though. I was hoping that he would open up the turbine inlet area on his 3B's 10.5 housing by removing the divider wall and making it single scroll. And/or, reconfigure to the larger BBK-C comp wheel.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I thought this was zhongs car we were discussing. have you seen his signature?
you are way to quick to rid TS from a track car. huge mistake from where I am sitting. factory upgraded turbos have consistently shown 500rpm spool loss or higher when TS effect is lost. FP new housing would be lucky to cut those numbers in half.

Quick Reply: ATP GTX3076R vs CBRD BBK-B BB