Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

titanium compressor wheel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2014, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
titanium compressor wheel

so snail turbo has a titanium compressor wheel for GTX3582R. I always thought ti. would be lighter. but I ask them and to my surprise the wheel weigh 185 grams. (stock 35r 123 grams) I ask why make wheel from ti. and the following was their response. it has me wondering if this is true:

Actually titanium wheel weighs much more than aluminum wheel.
However, our titanium wheel is use for ball bearing not journal bearing turbocharger.
Normally ball bearing in mid-end rpm the torques is lack.
Because titanium wheel weighs more, we use titanium to add the weight in order to add the torques that keep running in mid-end rpm.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could be possible. Sort of the same thought that a heavier flywheel will store more enertia= helps keep the car going when already at speed.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe the the 16g rs wheel is Titanium aluminide (sp?) and the marketing behind it was for sure, less inertia = better transient response.

The above is baffling to me as well Perhaps TiAl is different animal than Ti?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wingless
I believe the the 16g rs wheel is Titanium aluminide (sp?) and the marketing behind it was for sure, less inertia = better transient response.

The above is baffling to me as well Perhaps TiAl is different animal than Ti?
That is the turbine. This is in reference to the compressor which is typically aluminum.

It seems they are trading spool-up and response for more inertia which I have thought to be the opposite of what you want out of a Time Attack vehicle.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ah yes he said compressor. My bad.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
That is the turbine. This is in reference to the compressor which is typically aluminum.

It seems they are trading spool-up and response for more inertia which I have thought to be the opposite of what you want out of a Time Attack vehicle.
Though based on their response it seems to be filling the holes in the turbo power/torque delivery in the mid RPM range by adding the inertia where repsonse issues should already have been overcome or at least are far more easily overcome by keeping momentum in the wheel when it would be fighting through maybe a higher load section of its pump/efficiency curve based on housing and wheel design/shape/size.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Actually titanium wheel weighs much more than aluminum wheel.
However, our titanium wheel is use for ball bearing not journal bearing turbocharger.
Normally ball bearing in mid-end rpm the torques is lack.
Because titanium wheel weighs more, we use titanium to add the weight in order to add the torques that keep running in mid-end rpm.

Didn't know we were at the point of optimizing the weight of the wheels now on turbos. Is this why the EFR Turbos fall off up top because they are too light?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Does the ti wheel hold up to heat very well? Not saying I know but just asking?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 01:25 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
The comp wheel would be made out of a titanium metallic alloy, e.g., Ti6Al4V. Its higher density than aluminum alloys, but its also stronger. Its probably possible to make a comp wheel from Ti that's just as light as an Al one.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
The comp wheel would be made out of a titanium metallic alloy, e.g., Ti6Al4V. Its higher density than aluminum alloys, but its also stronger. Its probably possible to make a comp wheel from Ti that's just as light as an Al one.
Thanks for the response.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
AFAIK, titanium was used at one point to deal with hub burst issues. Super high pressure ratios and huge diesel engines that could spool massive turbos instantly where causing low cycle fatigue issues.

Garrett went to "boreless" compressor wheels and I think Holset or IHI or one of the other companies went to billet titanium.

It's about strength as far as I know.

I could see what they are saying but I think the wording is a little funny. Some of the drag car guys have picked up on this high inertia thing. Basically, once you get the heavy wheel up to speed, extra inertia will help keep the shaft speed high between shifts. More shaft speed after a shift means more boost through the midrange revs.

This is on cars running stuff like CO2 boost controllers and bypass type anti-lag/launch control and are absolutely maxing out the turbo. Some have started going over to journal bearing turbos because they use larger shafts and thus more inertia.

I don't think you want titanium in anything where response after letting off the throttle matters though.

The JDM RS turbo uses a magnesium compressor wheel and titanium turbine wheel to lower inertia for improved transient response.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Apr 7, 2014 at 08:40 AM.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 09:26 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I wonder how much of a trade off the high inertia vs low inertia is really worth? I mean I don't see a turbo with a high inertia option or low inertia option , so like you implied it's gonna come to splitting hairs. I'd really like to get a TSS set up to my vi-pec and see what things really effect it.